Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hooking laptop up to PC

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2006, 10:08 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking laptop up to PC

Hit a brick wall on this one after several hours! Just trying to back up 'My Docs' from works laptop onto my home PC. Hooked up a CAT5 cable between both computers and am using the small office wizard on XP. So far so good on the home PC but when I run the disk on the laptop it says it cant continue as 'this computer is part of a domain'. Well it is at work, but does anyone know if I can get advice somewhere or if this really is the end of this idea and I need to buy a 5 gig flashcard!!!

Cheers
Old 14 May 2006, 11:28 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Hit a brick wall on this one after several hours! Just trying to back up 'My Docs' from works laptop onto my home PC. Hooked up a CAT5 cable between both computers and am using the small office wizard on XP. So far so good on the home PC but when I run the disk on the laptop it says it cant continue as 'this computer is part of a domain'. Well it is at work, but does anyone know if I can get advice somewhere or if this really is the end of this idea and I need to buy a 5 gig flashcard!!!

Cheers
Sounds about right. The Laptop will be set-up to network with Windows Domain Servers at work, and not for Peer-to-Peer connectivity, which youare atempting to do. I take it you're using a crossed over RJ-45 cable as well?

I take it the Laptop is set-up for Local Administration rights? If not then that will be you're first stumbling block.

Does the laptop have a CD/DVD rewriter drive? If it does then you should be able to back you're work up onto a blank CD/DVD disc which will be a lot cheaper than a flash drive. Again if you don't have local administration rights may not alow you to set-up a flash drive.
Old 14 May 2006, 11:42 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice mate. 2 hrs later and Bluetooth is no help [wont do folders, only individual files...even if it would pair up properly], USB to USB seems a non starter without splashing out on 3d party software, a 9 pin D type connection may work but my lead is male male and I need female female, and after installing Nero Burning ROM on the laptop it does in fact seem that my optical isnt a burner after all [despite some hint about being 'rewritable' on the tray!].

Would the 9 pin slapped between com ports be the best one to pursue do you think - there seemed to be a wizard to help...

Arghhhh!!!!
Old 14 May 2006, 11:49 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Would the 9 pin slapped between com ports be the best one to pursue do you think - there seemed to be a wizard to help...

Arghhhh!!!!
Sounds okay. But a couple of things to consider:

The cable needs to be of the Null MODEM type (IE pins 2 & 3 , 5 & 20 , 4 & 7 corssed over).

You will need to go into 'Device Manager'on both machines to set-up the speed and Handshaking you will want ot use. FOr high speed transfers then try the following speed:

Leave stop bits and data to 8 & 1

Change handshaking (Flow Control) to 'Hardware'.
Old 14 May 2006, 10:20 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate! Although I feel quite defeated on such a simple connection, it did in fact transpire that the optical was a burner after all - using a bit of BIOS/OS rather than Nero! Cheers D