Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can BT really do this? (broadband)

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2006, 03:55 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can BT really do this? (broadband)

My dad ordered broadband for home, hes never used PC's but has started to see the light. Anyway, he bought a new laptop etc, received his modem from BT, had a courtesy call from Tom Baker advising him he can use his new broadband service after 8pm last Monday.

8pm came and went, he spent an hour pissing about with the setup, still no broadband. Next morning still no broadband, called BT, after about 6 hours of trying he was finally told there was no capacity at his exchange for new broadband connections, and wouldnt be for the forseeable future.

Now WTF is that all about?
Why did they bother sending all the stuff if they cant actually provide the service?

Anyone else experienced the same????
Old 15 February 2006, 04:11 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Im having exactly the same issue, but I haven't even got as far as getting the modem etc yet.

Apparently there are plans to upgrade my exchange but no date as yet. This apparently could be weeks, years, or potentially decades I presume.

BT tell me that if the queue is large for extra connections then the upgrade may be quite swift however if there is a small list I may have to wait for someone in the area to cancel their broadband!

And to top it all, BT's customer service advice when asked for a solution (I can't get NTL in my area otherwise I'd be switched in a flash) was 'you could move house'!

David
Old 15 February 2006, 04:13 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
And to top it all, BT's customer service advice when asked for a solution (I can't get NTL in my area otherwise I'd be switched in a flash) was 'you could move house'!

David
Ah, a typically useful suggestion then!

They also reminded me dad of the fact that he cant go elsewhere either as they all use BT equipment to carry the service. Very kind of them.
Old 15 February 2006, 08:33 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by megabusa
They also reminded me dad of the fact that he cant go elsewhere either as they all use BT equipment to carry the service. Very kind of them.
Not necessarily true. Check out http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php to see if any other providers are offering LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) services at your exchange. LLU involves ISP's installing their own independent ADSL equipment in the exchange.

Gary.
Old 15 February 2006, 08:48 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the link Gary, enlightening!
But....no options in his area
Old 15 February 2006, 08:53 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting actually, it shows both easynet and bulldog as having LLU services in my area.

The only snag I can think of is I assume to take advantage of say bulldog I would have to have a bulldog phoneline? This could be an issue as I have only just had BT for a month so think there may be a contract period where I cannot cancel.
Old 15 February 2006, 09:30 PM
scoobie-shieldy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
Thats interesting actually, it shows both easynet and bulldog as having LLU services in my area.

The only snag I can think of is I assume to take advantage of say bulldog I would have to have a bulldog phoneline? This could be an issue as I have only just had BT for a month so think there may be a contract period where I cannot cancel.
dont think theres a contract for bt phonelines now, coz ppl change ***** nilly for better prices

id really research bulldog as there service is good but looking after customers during change over periods is diabolical, heheh even watchdog investigated them
Old 15 February 2006, 10:15 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Well it would still actually be a BT phone line because its their copper under the ground that runs to your house, but your contract would be with them as they just buy the lines off BT Wholesale and contracts still exist, they maybe shorter than 12months from BT retails but certainly any wholesale proivder (someone who takes over your BT line) will have a 12 month min as BT wholesale impse this.
Gary