Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Question for the PSP owners...

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2006, 07:19 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the PSP owners...

Ok, looking at taking the jump and getting a PSP so I'm starting todo my homework...

Whats the crack with surfing the web ! Do they do this straight out the box or will I need to be buy/do something additional to get this function !

Any other useful tips/website links much appreciated....

Cheers
Old 08 January 2006, 07:48 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Talking

You'll need firmware 2.00+ to get the Sony web browser, and a wireless router on your broadband. Much of the setup is pretty simple and automated. Most retail in UK seem to have PSPs back in now so shop around for th ebest deal with games and extras that you want.

To play homebrew software (or the slightly more dubious playing games off the memory stick rather than UMD disks) then you need version 1.50. Not a task for the faint-hearted. You won't be able to downgrade at all if your PSP firmware is >2.00. Most UK shop bought devices will now have 2.01 or 2.5 pre-installed, so you'd have to go import/ebay route for a 1.50/2.00 version. The sexy white ceramic PSPs are only available through Japan, though rumours state they'll be available here later in the year. Japanese PSPs apparently come with a better LCD screen (Sharp manufacteured rather than ???) than the UK versions, but I've not seen them side by side to compare. The UK ones are pretty damn special to begin with anyway!

loads more info than you could probably take in at www.psp-hacks.com

Make sure you get a screen protecter (film to cover the screen). Only a few quid, as the screens are notoriously easy to scratch.

Hope this helps. PM or just shout if you need more
Joolz
Old 08 January 2006, 08:19 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Just to add, SOny have just announced that 4mb and 8mb memory cards are going to be available this year, which is a big bonus if you want to watch your DVD's and/or listen to music on your PSP, as currently the 1mb and 2mb cards don't really hold enough info.

Surfing the web is easy so long as you have a wireless router, although it can be a bit painstaking entering text etc, and if the site isn't designed for the PSP its a bit pointless. Plenty of sites now being made for the correct PSP screen size though, so the future looks bright....

Dave
Old 08 January 2006, 08:57 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, some great information....
Old 10 January 2006, 07:38 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_A
Just to add, SOny have just announced that 4mb and 8mb memory cards are going to be available this year, which is a big bonus if you want to watch your DVD's and/or listen to music on your PSP, as currently the 1mb and 2mb cards don't really hold enough info.

Surfing the web is easy so long as you have a wireless router, although it can be a bit painstaking entering text etc, and if the site isn't designed for the PSP its a bit pointless. Plenty of sites now being made for the correct PSP screen size though, so the future looks bright....

Dave
Dread to think how much those memory sticks are gonna cost. I just paid £45 for what I thought was a bargain 1Gb stick, so the 4Gb are probably going to cost more than the PSP
Old 10 January 2006, 07:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbryant
Dread to think how much those memory sticks are gonna cost. I just paid £45 for what I thought was a bargain 1Gb stick, so the 4Gb are probably going to cost more than the PSP
I second that. I've just bought a 2GB Sony mem card for my PSP @ £100 back in November.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:36 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Datel already sell the 4gig, £135 inc. VAT which also includes a replacement battery which lasts twice as long as the sony battery

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2006, 07:55 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

you want an OTG USB HDD ( god that's a mouthfull ) works without a PC via the USB port on the top.

upto 80GB using a Laptop 2.5" HDD
Old 11 January 2006, 10:46 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I think theres a couple of places selling the HDD's.

I've still not managed to get online with my PSP - its proving to be a b!tch.

Check out DVD Decryptor & PSP Video 9 for getting your movies onto the memory sticks - but getting a definitive answer on what settings to use is a bit hard to come by, you might as well ask a politician. PSP V9's forums are very good though.

The only game I have at the moment is WipEout Pure, but to be honest there isn't really any others I like the look of - until Tomb Raider Legend & GT4 Mobile come out (if ever) I doubt I'll get anymore and I'm even considering eBaying the thing now I've got a 360 to keep me entertained.

Watching movies on it isn't that bad, the screen is very good and I even found Spiderman 2 fairly watchable - and you can quite a few films for around £8 now.

Its certainly a fantastic bit of kit but a little underused by me at the mo...
Old 11 January 2006, 11:36 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Are the games/UMD movies region coded !
Old 11 January 2006, 11:44 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Movies are, Games - so far - are not.