Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Question re using my own webspace for a website.

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2005, 08:48 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re using my own webspace for a website.

Is there a way of doing it that hides the URL so people cant also look at other stuff on my webspace.I'm on NTL and want to host a website,but everyone knows with a bit of URL editing you can also access other pictures etc i may be hosting (but not related to my website).

Or should i just buy some more webspace at a new URL?

thanks
Paul.........
Old 07 December 2005, 10:28 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

depends on the server I think.
Some will automatically hide directory listings, so you can't go chopping bits off url's and sniffing around directories, some won't hide things.

Normally the root of the site will have an index.htm file, so you could put a very simply index.html file into all your folders, which would mean when somone chops something from a URL, it will load that file, which won't show anything, or you could get it to redirect back to the home page, or whatever you want.

The best thing to do is create a test page for the new site, and then delete the last bit of the url and see what things you can access. If it shows directory listings then people can sniff around, if it shows nothing, or gives an error, you should be ok.
Old 08 December 2005, 09:37 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

some you can hide (or mask) the URL at the top, but if you got hyperlink and hover the mouse over the link, it will should your real URL at the bottom.

all depends what you want to do. you can get a domain name very cheaply at www.1and1.co.uk (about £5 for a .co.uk for 2 years!) and point the domain name to your NTL webspace, or get a proper webspace from a hosting company for about £25/year (www.mkhosting.co.uk). with a proper hosting company, you get other goodies like email address that are from your domain, run a forum, a lot more webspace, etc.
Old 08 December 2005, 09:53 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,i'll look into those options.

btw,is there any advantage of having a .com rather than .co.uk?
One is £1.99,the other £8.99. (.com dearer)

cheers.

Last edited by paulr; 08 December 2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08 December 2005, 02:17 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

all depends on what your website is for. yes, the .co.uk is so darn cheap compare with .com. at the end of the day, it is just a domain name. choice is really up to you...