Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

3G card for Laptop - pointers pls

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 01:21 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3G card for Laptop - pointers pls

Annoyingly '3G' is too short a search term for here, but basically I need to get one of these cards for my laptop asap so as I can get e-mail via an internet VPN connection to our server, and I dont have time toi research it for months like I would normally do! Shame there is no 3g on my Sony P900 but there we go - and Blackberrys are too intrusive and would ruin my filing/add further quota and other complications. A 3G PDA on Vodafone would be tops but there aint no such thing afaik...

Any pointers guys and suggested 3G card suppliers?

Many thanks o fount of all wisdom!

D
Old 17 November 2005, 03:04 PM
SPelham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Annoyingly '3G' is too short a search term for here, but basically I need to get one of these cards for my laptop asap so as I can get e-mail via an internet VPN connection to our server, and I dont have time toi research it for months like I would normally do! Shame there is no 3g on my Sony P900 but there we go - and Blackberrys are too intrusive and would ruin my filing/add further quota and other complications. A 3G PDA on Vodafone would be tops but there aint no such thing afaik...

Any pointers guys and suggested 3G card suppliers?

Many thanks o fount of all wisdom!

D
We have just rolled out Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G/GPRS cards to all our sales guys.So far the feed back has been good.Have seen speeds for downloads between 40-50 KB/sec, which is fast enough for users to connect via VPN to our notes server!
The only thing to watch out for is the cost of data after you exceed your quota ! Ours is 50MB then after that it is £1.50 per Meg.. Ouch!

Cheers
Old 17 November 2005, 04:44 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

We use the orange version and its great

Mangaged to run our office internet connection from it yesterday when we lost BT Broadband

Cringing at the thought of the bill though
Old 17 November 2005, 05:38 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

I've been using voda 3G card for a year now. i live and work in zone 1 and the 3G is still patchy!

when it goes full tilt tho, it's great

v reliable too, just patchy full 3G strength
Old 17 November 2005, 09:30 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Just bought the Vodafone quad band 3G card - £25 a month for 250Mb and no hardware cost - includes an antenna for those patchy areas outside W1!