Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

6230i to PC link

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2005, 03:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6230i to PC link

Just got a Nokia 6230i, but the data cable does not seem to be supplied. Connectivity options are infrared, bluetooth or cable. My desktop doesn't have infrared or bluetooth. Should I get a bluetooth dongle, and could the phone then sync with the PC when they are in the same house? Can this be automatic? Diff in data transfer rates for photos etc?
Old 14 November 2005, 03:49 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a BlueTooth USB dongle (circa £10) to sync a calendar on my 6230 with my home PC.

Sync'ing takes a couple of mouse clicks with the Nokia PC Suite software. Not sure if you could automate it.
Old 14 November 2005, 03:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Data Cables are usually always an option (along with the relevant software). Not sure what the connection speed is with the data cable, but:-

Infrared 115Kbps (haven't seen anything higher such as FIR with mobiles)
Bluetooth 721 Kbps

Ir is line-of-sight, slow and just cr@p.

Not sure of the range of a bluetooth signal (it's just radio), but it's usually within a couple of m's. They could certainly sync within the same (small) room or on the same desk

Not sure if you can configure the software to do automatic updates i.e. PC detects mobile in the vicinity and simply downloads all the updates. With most phones I've seen you need to enable Bluetooth, wait until the PC detects it and then manually sync them.

Hopefully things have moved on since I last bothered.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:53 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Data Cables are usually always an option (along with the relevant software). Not sure what the connection speed is with the data cable, but:-

Infrared 115Kbps (haven't seen anything higher such as FIR with mobiles)
Bluetooth 721 Kbps

Ir is line-of-sight, slow and just cr@p.

Not sure of the range of a bluetooth signal (it's just radio), but it's usually within a couple of m's. They could certainly sync within the same (small) room or on the same desk

Not sure if you can configure the software to do automatic updates i.e. PC detects mobile in the vicinity and simply downloads all the updates. With most phones I've seen you need to enable Bluetooth, wait until the PC detects it and then manually sync them.

Hopefully things have moved on since I last bothered.
I find the usb cable a hell of a lot faster when transferring big files. And yes you can automate the Nokia software to auto sync when you connect.
Old 14 November 2005, 07:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
I find the usb cable a hell of a lot faster when transferring big files. And yes you can automate the Nokia software to auto sync when you connect.
I didn't know if the data cabe was USB or old cr@ppy serial. If it's USB, then that should be the fastest connection (albeit wired).
Old 14 November 2005, 08:57 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Get a DKU-2 cable from ebay - I got one (branded Nokia) for £2 + £2 delivery. It's a USB (not serial) cable, and is as sw33t as a nut. It allows the memory card to be used as a removable disk if you so wish.
Old 14 November 2005, 11:45 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Bluetooth would be ok if you were just transferring small files, and will work up to about 10m away from the PC.
If you want to put MP3s or any similar sized or bigger files, the DKU-2 cable with the Nokia Suite would be the best bet.
Old 15 November 2005, 10:09 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Hi
I use bluetooth also, and find its great no problems.
I though all computers could use plug in Bluetooth

Chel xxx
Old 15 November 2005, 10:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Anyone know about web browsing, I have the N70 on '3', is it possible to web browse (proper web) via a Bluetooth connection, I have ordred a bluetooth dongle for my pc but somebody said you need a Bluetooth access point ?