Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DAB Digital Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2005, 05:37 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DAB Digital Radio

Can anyone tell me, please, exactly WHO is pushing, and paying for, the saturation advertising for DAB Digital Radios, noting that none of the advertisements are product, or manufacturer, specific. Is it, in fact Government, having flogged off Analogue Channels, for example??

TIA

Phil Harrison
Old 03 September 2005, 02:14 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

Lots of vested interest from DAB radio manufactures, distributors not to mention radio industry. I'd love to think they all got their heads together, created a central fund and started selling the idea of DAB to the masses.

You can liken it to the campaign to get people moved over to digital tv content I suppose.
Old 03 September 2005, 03:51 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

.....indeed, but that's because Government has flogged off the Analogue TV Channels, thus imposing a TV 'Tax' on every single viewer in the Country: namely the unnecessary need to buy a new TV because analogue will, i.d.c., be switched off, whether we like it or not!! So I wondered if the same was the case in respect of Radio??

What puzzles me, for example, is the (cost of) the saturation advertising on ClassicFM for a broadcasting technique which will ensure inferior listening to Classical Music, since they haven't (won't??) set the sampling rate high enough. And the advertising has started to get on my pip!! And so I wondered if this Government of 'spin' and no substance, was getting others to do its dirty work for it - with a hidden subsidy from the taxpayer!

Cheers

Phil

Phil Harrison
Old 04 September 2005, 12:47 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

You've obviously never tried listening to ClassicFM on fm around here then. The DAB broadcast sounds sooooo much better, (despite the low sample rate). Especially in the car.
Old 04 September 2005, 12:56 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

It is a field leveler for the likes of Virgin who could not afford the infrastructure required for national broadcasting, but with DAB they can. So it is a good investment for radio stations to give away advertising space.

Specifically with Virgin, they gave away a DAB radio every hour of every day for a whole month last year (and I won one!).

Steve