Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

When to buy a new PC?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2005, 05:39 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When to buy a new PC?

My PC is still limping on...I can access the internet but it's just about dead on it's feet.

Trouble is whilst I know it needs replacing I keep wondering whether by waiting till autumn or nearer Christmas I'll get a better deal. OR of course will prices go up relative to performance.

I'm well aware that PC's always improve and that whatever I buy will be showing its age in 12 months but is there an elusive best time to buy?

Is it now or should I wait? That's my dilemma.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

CLSII
Old 27 August 2005, 05:49 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Buy anytime, I don't believe there are any significant technologies that will render a new PC obsolete or give it a significant performance disadvantage.

Or put another way what exactly are you waiting for. (IMHO - there isn't anything significant)
Old 27 August 2005, 05:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CLSII
My PC is still limping on...I can access the internet but it's just about dead on it's feet.

Trouble is whilst I know it needs replacing I keep wondering whether by waiting till autumn or nearer Christmas I'll get a better deal. OR of course will prices go up relative to performance.

I'm well aware that PC's always improve and that whatever I buy will be showing its age in 12 months but is there an elusive best time to buy?

Is it now or should I wait? That's my dilemma.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

CLSII
Your right about how technology moves on and by buying a PC now means in a months time it's already out of date. All I can say is to buy what you can with the budget you have.
What I tend to do is keep my eyes peeled on websites like: www.tomshardware.com and see how the industry is moving on etc.. All I can say is that next year the new PCs will consist of a x2 CPU (2 processors in 1) either by Intel and AMD and the new version of windows maybe out as well (microsoft Windows Vista), which by the way requires 512MB RAM just to run that on its own.
With these sorts of facts it will give you some sort of idea what to get.
Hope that helps?
Old 27 August 2005, 05:54 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Don't wait for Vista though - it'll be 2007 before that is released, and you can buy dual core AMD CPUs now. (£200+) which run on socket 939, which also supports the normal 64 bit CPUs from £70.
Old 27 August 2005, 07:08 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

What about this from Savastore? An Aries PC

Product Details

Perfecta 7200 Pro

* Intel Pentium 4 530 3.0GHz Processor with Hyperthreading Technology
* 1GB (1024MB) Dual DDR 400 (PC3200) Branded Memory
* 128MB Intel GMA900 PCI Express Graphics
* 400GB (2x200GB) RAID ATA (133Mbps) 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
* 16X Dual Layer Mutli-Format DVD +/- Rewriter
* Aries Black/Silver Mini-Tower Case with 300W PSU
* Integrated 5.1 6 Channel Surround Sound Audio
* 2 Front, 4 Rear Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Ports
* 54Mbit 802.11b/g Wi-Fi Wireless Networking (Wireless Broadband Ready)
* 19'' TFT Analogue Flat Panel Multimedia Monitor
* Basic 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
* Microsoft Basic Keyboard & Optical Mouse
* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
* Microsoft Works 8.0, Panda Antivirus Titanium 2004 (1yr virus subscription), Roxio CD/DVD Burning Suite 7, Cyberlink PowerDVD 5
* Full 6-year Warranty including 1-year On-Site parts and labour cover

Anybody had any dealings with them?
Old 27 August 2005, 07:20 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

What will you be using it for? Internet & Word... Games etc..??
Old 27 August 2005, 08:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think that sort of PC configuration could become obsolete more quickly than others. 3.0GHz is really at the very low end of CPUs, what will the motherboard support in the future, can it be upgraded?

It doesn't appear to support SATA drives. If you play games the graphics card will be useless (may not even support some games as it isn't ATI or NVIDIA)
Old 27 August 2005, 08:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy one, I have a 3 and a half year old Athlon based rig and it still does everything I need it to, its only the latest games that challenge a modern(ish) pc, internet, office apps, music and video dont trouble them, get at least 512 (difficult to get less) ram and it will be fine.

Make me laugh when I get family members who occasionally go on the web and play solitaire want to run through specs with me to see whether it will do the job and then hand me the specs for a grands worth of Dell pc.

Dont go for outright speed, if you build your own buy quality components, decent motherboard and PSU are always a good start, proper cooling and dont buy the cheapest case you can get hold of as the vibrate and flex.
Old 27 August 2005, 09:15 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Dr Evil,

Internet, Word, Photography and Music. If it plays DVD's to a decent standard that would be great.

Music wise its only to play music rather than anything complicated and for photography I use Photoshop elements
Old 27 August 2005, 09:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Dr Evil,

Internet, Word, Photography and Music. If it plays DVD's to a decent standard that would be great.

Music wise its only to play music rather than anything complicated and for photography I use Photoshop elements
You just have to accept that a PC is not an investment -in a financial sense, as it will be obsolete quickly you will loose loads of money on it.

BUT

You can go on like that forever, things will always move on. What is important is that you get WHAT is right for you, WHEN you need it.

There is a difference between just obsolete and functionally obsolete. For example, I'm writing this from a P3 600 with 128MB Ram and a 32 MB graphics card. Laughably out of date!! However, it still does what I ask of it i.e. Office tasks and internet, so though hopelessly obsolete by todays standards, it's not functionally obsolete for the tasks that are required of it.

Office tasks require only a low end PC, as does the net (Where quality of connection is FAR more important in terms of speed!!) If you get seriously into digital editing of graphics and music, you'll need a bit more power -especially for graphics- but there is not need to go overboard; a good mid-range PC will do it.

It's only if you are dead keen on current games or video editing that you start needing to spend more money TBH Even then, its amazing what you can get for your hard earned these days!!

Check out Dell PCs, Not the cheapest, but VERY reliable and always sensibly specified as standard and you can re-configure to your liking on-line!

NS04
Old 27 August 2005, 10:07 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has just bought a PC from Aldi for £499 Its stunning for the money.

People have mentioned the various stupendous deals Aldi do from time to time over the years - I'd advise you to get one if you happen to see one.
Old 28 August 2005, 03:35 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

CLSII take a look at www.meshcomputers.com

Whats your budget?

BTW that PC u spec'd would be ok, but its about getting the most for your money at the time u buy.
Old 28 August 2005, 08:41 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Just get one from e-bay late at night when no-ones bidding, they go for less than the sum of their components

I wouldn't buy the latest, greatest processor now, as it is going to lose half its value in two months time.

Go for a socket 939 base though, as it can take nearly a 5000+ processor come upgrade time and go for say a 3700/3800 64 bit for now.

You can buy a set of 2 - 6600GT for SLI for under £200 on aria just now as well, so something supporting SLi would be handy
Old 28 August 2005, 11:13 AM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

A cheap bottom of the range computer will do the job just fine
You only really need speed for games.
anything more is just a waste of money
Word isnt going to run faster nor is the internet
Old 28 August 2005, 02:44 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

As jfrf says, a cheap one with onboard graphics will be fine, DVD playback should ok ish.

Something like: http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_1_1.htm
Old 29 August 2005, 01:18 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Hi,
As mentioned above basically dont over spend when you dont need to. Im currently saving up for a barebone PC and planning to use that as my entertainment centre. Maybe look into one yourself if its just for surfing and multimedia bits and bobs.
Kam
Old 29 August 2005, 07:25 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice

I'm looking to buy a base unit from PC Nextday

I think I'll buy the monitor seperately

Now got to decide between LG1720B a 17" screen or a Benq FP931 19"....decisions decisions...Any suggestions?
Old 30 August 2005, 09:35 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LG would be a better choice although its smaller. Benq is cheap and you will notice it in the picture quality.
Old 30 August 2005, 09:52 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Have you had a look here ?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=94538

£234 inc vat

Processor: AMD Sempron 2800+
Memory: 256MB DDR expandable to 2GB.
Disk: 40GB
DVD/CDRW
Modem/LAN 10/100