Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Network Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2005, 11:40 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Network Problem

Some idiot where we have just moved house to has got an unsecured wireless network which is blasting out on the wrong region setting ( United states ).
This appears to be interfering with our own wireless network. One of the laptops will not even see it, Just the idiots network, and mine sees it, connects to it but won`t pass data.

Not changed any of the settings on ours from before we moved. Ours is locked down quite tightly, Mac address filtering wep, hidden SSID ,passwords and accounts changed etc. Just wondering if there is anything that can be done as i`m now getting wound up. Had to resort to trailing network cable into the switch to send this.

Not tried breaking into the his router yet to see if I can deconflict our settings. I have also made sure our channel seperation is 5. he`s sat on channel 6 so only leaves us 2 - 3 channels of non interferance. Thanks for any help in advance.

Jase

Pissed off and annoyed at complete idiots
Old 03 August 2005, 11:51 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

just a thought, have you spoken to the guy about this. Maybe you can work together to sort the problem, tell him how to hide his ssid set up encryption etc. Maybe he could change his channel also which may help things, i think breaking into his network isnt really the way to go about it unless he has a mega attitude
Old 04 August 2005, 08:00 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If your router is not broadcasting your SSID and the other guy's router is, this could be causing the problem.
Old 04 August 2005, 07:38 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Hi we have thought of that but don`t know who it is as we have just moved in. The area.
Old 04 August 2005, 10:16 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

Could you get onto his network and use netsend to ask him who he is? Also check youre broadcasting at max signal strength as I found a friend with a similar problem and his AP was only outputting at half strength.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:57 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Change the wireless client settings so they only connect to one specified (ie. yours) SSID ?
Old 05 August 2005, 05:11 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Sussed it knocked it down to transmit in 802.11B Only. Everything connects now. Will try and find out who it is, and offer my services to sort it, for the price of tea and cake. It`s a compramise I know but it worked. and it`s still quicker than my internet connection. Cheers for the hep guys .

jase