Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Print Server Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2005, 12:10 PM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Print Server Problems

I've set up a brand new desktop PC (HP DX2000 P4 2.8GHz 512MB RAM) running XP Pro to act as a Print Server at work. Its running a total of 8 printers of various types its giving me some serious problems at the moment

When some (not all) of the clients try to print to a printer on this server they get the error that the printer is unavailable. If I open Printers and Faxes on the clients PC, all the printers are showing Unable to connect.

The only way I can get clients to see the printers again is to restart the Print Spooler service on the Print Server or in some cases reboot it.

The clients are all running XP Pro and the Print Server is logged in with an account that is setup as a local administrator of that PC.

Any ideas, anyone?

I've trawled through the internet and MS Technet for information on this but I'm completely stumped at the moment.

Cheers

Gavin
Old 08 April 2005, 12:18 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Doesn't XP-Pro have a limit on the maximum number of concurrent connections?

I'd have been inclined to use 2k server or the like (or an ikkle linux box)
Old 08 April 2005, 12:42 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

XP Pro does have a limit, I can remember the exact number but I think it is like 4 or 5 or maybe 10 rings a bell, I think its in the EULA agrement.

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 08 April 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08 April 2005, 02:33 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windows XP Professional (as well as Windows 2000 Professional and NT4 Workstation) is limited to 10 simultaneous inbound connections for all transports and resource sharing protocols, combined. The maximum inbound limit for Windows XP Home Edition is five.
Old 09 April 2005, 01:48 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

yep, as above i did the same a few years back with 2000 workstation!!! (10 user max)
pulled my hair out for a few nights, before someone worked it out (not me by the way!)

ah.. the memories of replacing with 2k server still fill me with happiness (50 editorial (l)users!!)

good luck
Old 09 April 2005, 07:12 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just one thing to point out, when building a server, use a server operating system, alternatively print direct to the printer.
Old 13 April 2005, 11:46 AM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Update...

Well guys I think I've worked out the problem (well it seems fixed now anyway).

I've deleted all the ports on the Print Server PC which incidently were 'HP Standard TCP/IP Ports' and recreated them this time using just 'Standard TCP/IP Ports'. I think it my have been something to do with the RAW and LPR Protocol configuration not being right.

Its strange that the HP ports didn't work though, (all printers on the server are HP of some sort) as when I installed the latest drivers for them from the HP website at the time of configuring the print server this is the type of port that it created and installed by default so I just assumed that it was the correct type to use. Never thought it would cause an issue.

Thanks for the replies

Gavin