Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS2 Hard Drive & Network Adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 08:35 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking PS2 Hard Drive & Network Adaptor

Hi,

Has anyone put one of these into their PS2 ?? Is it easy to do ??

I have seen a 200Gb disk and network adaptor on Ebay for 135 quid, is that a good price or not ??

And (Last question) Is the network adaptor what allows you to play online ??

Mark
Old 07 April 2005, 08:42 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

I've done it.

Network adapter is around £18 from sony...

HDD is whatever you want to pay, there are some "issues" over 128gb but not unsurmountable, I will dig out a link of all drives tested, the distance between power and ide connector is critical!

You need some software to run anything from the drive, however sony have closed down production of HDloader \ HDadvance.

It takes some messing around to get setup, and I'm a techie myself, but is worth it. Means I can play import games without chipping, and play "most" games without using my laser, so faster loading times and a longer life for the PS2.

Also means all my games can stay immaculate in their boxes, just buy em, install onto hdd, and then put on shelf.

(note, online games cannot be played online from the hdd, and some games just will not play, but they are few....)

Ian
(I'll post later with the hdd compatibility list)
Old 07 April 2005, 09:20 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ianc
I've done it.

Network adapter is around £18 from sony...

HDD is whatever you want to pay, there are some "issues" over 128gb but not unsurmountable, I will dig out a link of all drives tested, the distance between power and ide connector is critical!

You need some software to run anything from the drive, however sony have closed down production of HDloader \ HDadvance.

It takes some messing around to get setup, and I'm a techie myself, but is worth it. Means I can play import games without chipping, and play "most" games without using my laser, so faster loading times and a longer life for the PS2.

Also means all my games can stay immaculate in their boxes, just buy em, install onto hdd, and then put on shelf.

(note, online games cannot be played online from the hdd, and some games just will not play, but they are few....)

Ian
(I'll post later with the hdd compatibility list)
Nice one Ian, sounds good to me mate
Old 07 April 2005, 10:08 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I chucked a spare 40Gb drive I had in mine and use HDAdvance 2.0 to boot the games The games load MUCH faster from the HDD, especially Mashed which takes an age to load levels otherwise

Nice and easy to set up, in fact its even easier than the the XBox was !
Old 07 April 2005, 10:34 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Online is great, you get HOA(hardware online arena, tank\jeep arena fighting game) free when you register also...

I play hoa, toca2, burnout3, and Socom2 online, lobby system is good on some games, poor on others, is a mixed bunch, but is free

Right, re HDD:

Games compatibility list:

http://www.ps2hd.com/list.php
Old 07 April 2005, 10:36 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

still looking for hdd list

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 10:38 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/
Old 07 April 2005, 01:22 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cool, cheers guy's I will have a look through, what sort of price should I be looking at ??

Mark
Old 07 April 2005, 01:32 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Decide how big a drive you want, choose one that you know fits, then shop around until you find the cheapest, scan, dabs, pcworld, etc etc...
Old 07 April 2005, 02:05 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

It's the same price as here.

So gents, what exactly is required to install a HD into a PS2? Is there some special fixing kit or can you slap in any compatible hard disk? Would love to do this just so I can shorten load times on GT4 (if it's cheap )
Old 07 April 2005, 02:39 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Network adaptor, hard drive, hd loader/hdadvance... actually u can download these and use an action replay max to install it... don't think GT4 will boot from harddrive thou.
Old 07 April 2005, 02:47 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

GT4 will not work "straight from the box" as it's dual layer, not to say it can't be made into a single ISO image on a PC and then installed tho...

Also look into faplink and winhiip... winhiip will allow you to install a PS2 game onto a hdd when in the PC, faplink will allow you to install a game over the network from PC to PS2.
Old 07 April 2005, 03:32 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Maxtor drives tend to fit nicely onto the PS2 Network Adaptor. I used a little foam padding to stop it rattling around in the expansion bay, but I'd think a bracket of some sort would do the job better.

I boot the HDAdvance CD to access the menu and load the games from there.
PS2 Handiness is great for getting big games onto the HDD fast, just connect the drive to your PC and PS2 Handiness will recognise it and help copy the game onto the HDD. Much, much faster than using the PS2 drive which is slooooooow. I find its a little more intuitive than some of the other options about.

Well worth doing IMO, as loading times are hugely reduced, plus if you take it to a mates, you don't need to take loads of disks too

Unfortunately, GT4 cannot run from HDD currently, but it will do soon
Old 08 April 2005, 09:50 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I was late for work cos of you lot! Got the network adapter and 120GB disk last night, but we were wathcing a film so it had to wait to be installed. Just had to get the network up and running this morning which took about 5 minutes once I'd found the mac address (which in itself took about 15!). Haven't configured the hard drive at all yet, so I guess that is my next step (however it's done). Time to start reading a lot of the FAQs around on the web now

Is the HDAdvance you guys are using on a CD or on a DVD? Do you need to use it to choose which game to load? How does the PS2 know to load something from the HD, or is that why it needs the boot disk to access it?
Old 08 April 2005, 10:56 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Neither, just to confuse you more, I'm using PS1 ridgeracer to boot, then using a memory card exploit to run ps2menu, which gives me choice of hdadvance, hdloader, faplink, etc etc...
Old 08 April 2005, 11:22 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I am now suitably

Anyone point me in the direction of a step by step guide to setting this up? Would save me some trawling time
Old 08 April 2005, 11:23 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

This is all getting very technical !!

Is there a complete kit to do the job you can buy anywhere ??

Or at least an idiots guide to doing it