Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What's required in setting up a BBS

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2005, 05:14 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question What's required in setting up a BBS

Hello

My wife is interested in setting up a BBS, what's involved, what steps do we have to take, equipment, domain name, building a site, do we have to be HTML experts, and so on.

I did a search on google but it was nothing but old info Quote: "you really need a pentium II running at 233 Mhz" LOL

Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers
Dave
Old 15 February 2005, 05:54 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

There is lots of software around for creating BBS's, here is one: http://www.ubbcentral.com/ubbclassic/index.php .

You will need a domain name and some web space. The web space needs to be capable of running PHP.

Steve.
Old 15 February 2005, 06:35 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Its easy, just get her to phone simon or shaun. Sure someone will post their mobile numbers...

If she is interested in doing it then she might want to learn a bit about HTML if you want to tailor it in any way, if it for a business and you don't know anything about it, pay someone else to do it. Her time is probably better spent on the subject matter rather than messing around with PHP etc...

Technically, you don't need a domain name but you will needs some webspace. One that supports PHP and possibly mySql depending on the BBS software you use...
Old 15 February 2005, 06:48 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

http://www.phpbb.com/

Doesn't take much setting up at all - a few minutes on the linux box at work. Didn't take my mate long to set it up on Windows IIS either.

It's pretty straightforward, then you just have to start tweaking the bits to suit.

John.
Old 15 February 2005, 07:21 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally for my counterstrike clan we used http://www.proboards.com

That is probably the easiest no need to bother with FTP etc everything is stored on their server and it is free.
Old 15 February 2005, 08:29 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks for the replies guys

I think she wants it to be as big as SN !!, I am no Computer expert as I have mentioned on many ocassions on here, is this something I should be attempting, I can get around a PC ok but maybe I should employ someone with the necessary skills ??

Dave
Old 15 February 2005, 09:13 PM
damatrix
Scooby Regular

basicly what they said.. if ur going rent a little webspace.. ur more going to need it to run Php and Mysql .. if ur going to run it from ur own computer, dont bother (points and laughs)

But if u just want to give it ago for fun, there is a few places that will let u creat ur own board, have ur own users and stuff. And give u full control for free! they just run a few ads round it.,

if ur installing ur own.. i 2nd the motion of phpbb nice and easy to play with..

U can hire me if u want, and i wil create, modify and isntall anything u want.. but EVEN tho its taking dinner of my table! Most of these systems are very user friendly. if u can read an instruction book. u wont have to much trouble

side note : alot of paid webhosting now comes with cpanel or a version of it.. and will more then likely have a one click install button, YEP its that easy

Trending Topics

Old 15 February 2005, 11:23 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Oh, should have said earlier, that my mate had it running on his PlusNet webspace before he moved it over to his own server.

John.
Old 15 February 2005, 11:37 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

To begin with you could start out with http://www.invisionfree.com/ . Register a message board and have a play around

InvisionBoard is a lovely bit of kit but PHPbb is the next best. Both are easily skinable too so you get a 'stand out from the crowd' forum.

Invision Board has the ability for a news feed that you can pop anywhere on your site in a scrolable box - like on the front page of my own site...

Anyway, good luck What's the forum going to be about?
Old 16 February 2005, 08:07 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks for all the comments people, I think it's a case of me believing I might just be able to set this up if I read enough (lazy reader ) and believe in myself!!

Soulgirl, it's a BBS for the ladies , She believes it will make her a fortune, unless it takes off and becomes as big as SN and she gets shed loads of advertisers I doubt it will make her a fortune but its a good idea and may get some interest but she's got more energy and drive than a forecourt full of scoobys whereas i'm the lazy more realistic type who'll be doing all the computer work, christ what am I letting myself in for

Does anyone retire after setting up a well sponsored BBS ?? I doubt it but it would be cool to have our own BBS.

Thanks again

Dave
Old 16 February 2005, 08:41 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

The guy that made BBS alloys did alright for himself - so some BBS can make money.

HTH

Old 16 February 2005, 09:04 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

If you have plans then it might be better to start with a CMS rather than a BBS. This place http://www.opensourcecms.com/ allows you to play with most of the major free systems.