Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What do you do with all your old PC kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2005, 02:15 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What do you do with all your old PC kit?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
***EDIT - FULL List of all equipment in later post below ****
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Was going to hopefully clear out the garage over the weekend, if I can bring myself to get the energy together (stinking cold at the moment ). I know there are a lot of old PC parts out there and was wondering what to do with it all.

Is there any company out there that can make good use of this type of kit, or is it all destined for the tip?

I've grown out of having 3 or 4 machines set up at once and am happy just with my shuttle. I know this can all be built into something useful to run Linux or a firewall or whatever but just don't have the time or space any more (2 kids seen to that!). Some of it may be worth a few quid on ebay, but I can't bring myself to flog mobo's on there as they'll only end up haunting me coz some muppet can't get them working (though I know they're perfectly good working condition). Cases are too heavy to ship. Sold a few SCSI controllers on ebay a month or two back and for all the trouble it was, I only picked up about £20.

What do the rest of you all do with this type of stuff. Historically, I would hold onto it for another 2 or three years and then throw it away

Cheers
Joolz

Last edited by jbryant; 08 February 2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04 February 2005, 02:33 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a scsi cd rom
Old 04 February 2005, 02:48 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

David you have mail
Old 04 February 2005, 03:15 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
I need a scsi cd rom
I offered you one of those months (?) ago
Old 04 February 2005, 04:21 PM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

I'm afer a laptop harddrive 2.5" UDMA

Iain
Old 04 February 2005, 04:35 PM
G-man.au
Scooby Newbie

I had a heap of stuff that I needed to get rid of when I left Austrlalia and I donated it all to this group that fixes them up and gives them to poor families and schools.
There has to be some charity like that here as well.
Old 04 February 2005, 05:25 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by G-man.au
I had a heap of stuff that I needed to get rid of when I left Austrlalia and I donated it all to this group that fixes them up and gives them to poor families and schools.
There has to be some charity like that here as well.
That's the sort of thing I was after, but without the ffort of building the machines myself. Seems a shame to take it down the tip (though smashing it all is somewhat cathartic!)

Joolz
Old 05 February 2005, 03:00 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iain atkins
I'm afer a laptop harddrive 2.5" UDMA

Iain
None of them I'm afraid
J
Old 05 February 2005, 05:49 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

I'm after some oldish memory sticks for an older pc!

But generally I would say the charity idea. I'm sure something will exist like that. Or maybe just hand them into a charity shop, I'm sure they'll take anything, someone will find a use for it.

Rich
Old 06 February 2005, 02:36 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

you should compile a list and see what you got and advertise it here! im after some stuff! so send me a list and il either pick it up or pay for postage
Old 07 February 2005, 06:05 PM
Fox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbryant
Was going to hopefully clear out the garage over the weekend, if I can bring myself to get the energy together (stinking cold at the moment ). I know there are a lot of old PC parts out there and was wondering what to do with it all. I'm thinking of
+old full tower cases (2 or 3 ATX boxes)
+several motherboards loaded with old CPUs and memory (think 500Mhz + 128Mb-ish)
+Old IDE & SCSI CD drives, PSUs and hard disks
Boxes and boxes of cables and connectors

Is there any company out there that can make good use of this type of kit, or is it all destined for the tip?

I've grown out of having 3 or 4 machines set up at once and am happy just with my shuttle. I know this can all be built into something useful to run Linux or a firewall or whatever but just don't have the time or space any more (2 kids seen to that!). Some of it may be worth a few quid on ebay, but I can't bring myself to flog mobo's on there as they'll only end up haunting me coz some muppet can't get them working (though I know they're perfectly good working condition). Cases are too heavy to ship. Sold a few SCSI controllers on ebay a month or two back and for all the trouble it was, I only picked up about £20.

What do the rest of you all do with this type of stuff. Historically, I would hold onto it for another 2 or three years and then throw it away

Cheers
Joolz

www.bridgethedigitaldivide.com may be interested. They are based in North London and provide container loads of refurbed PCs to Third World countries on behalf of the UN

Regards

Fox
Old 07 February 2005, 07:19 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Joolz,

Im after a cheap mobo ie a 400MHz upwards and i have the ram etc etc. Ill pay the postage and bung a tenner in the charity box if you want rid.
Old 07 February 2005, 11:41 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb OK all money to charity - who wants some hardware?!

Originally Posted by Stueyb
Joolz,

Im after a cheap mobo ie a 400MHz upwards and i have the ram etc etc. Ill pay the postage and bung a tenner in the charity box if you want rid.

I like the idea so I’ll leave this on trust – anyone wants any of this stuff then sort me out the p&p and put the rest to charity – just place appropriate amount in the next worthy collection box or donate it to the Scoobynet Tsunami appeal. If there's any postage cost for the heavier items you can paypal it to me or send a cheque.

SOLD to StueyB -
Athlon Slot A 600 CPU and heatsink + BCS754 motherboard
£4 p&p and a tenner to charity.

SOLD to Richard P
3 x PC100 RAM sticks
Free p&p and a fiver to charity

Outstanding hardware to go:
+SCSI CD-Rom Pioneer DRU-06S (32x)
+SCSI CDRW Yamaha 16x4x4
+K6-2 400Mhz(?) CPU and mobo
+QTec 400W Gold dual fan PSU
+ATX cases 2xfull tower with PSU (PC World £60 jobbies a year or two back – decent quality) (collection Reading only)
+SB Live card and minidisc optical accessory card
+SB AWE32
+PCI LAN card Dlink
+Matrox Mystique
+2 x Monster 12Mb cards (SLI) in case anyone is feeling nostalgic
+HP DDS-2 tape drive (runs very hot – not sure if all are like this or if it is knackered). I think just 2/4Gb capacity
+Adaptec 2920 SCSI adapter (PCI)
+ 2 x IDE removable hard disk caddy and enclosure (internal 5.25 bay fit, to hold 3.5 IDE drives and enable swap between machines)

I know much of this is junk but it seems people still need for spares/repairs.

Please PM or post here if you want anything and I'll let you know if it's still available and postage cost if applicable.
Joolz
Old 08 February 2005, 12:59 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

not so long ago i went out and baught a Qtec fan. But then again i find it rather loud, it wont be long till i rip it out and invest in a quieter one i think, then il be starting up my own scrap pile
Old 09 February 2005, 10:36 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ScoobyDriverWannabe
not so long ago i went out and baught a Qtec fan. But then again i find it rather loud, it wont be long till i rip it out and invest in a quieter one i think, then il be starting up my own scrap pile
didn't think mine was too loud, but I think the CPU fan was like Concorde anyway so probably didn't notice too much

So you don't want it then

Joolz
Old 09 February 2005, 04:37 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbryant

So you don't want it then

Joolz
no thank you wouldv took the lot espechially the cases to build up a machine to run linux on for practice, for uni.

But live in sunderland so miles away lol
Old 09 February 2005, 10:33 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I hate to say, but all my old stuff goes in the bin Should I keep stuff back then? I didn't think, with the rate of acceleration of IT these days, that is was worth keeping old items. Am I wrong?
Old 09 February 2005, 11:18 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you wrong? No not necessarily - just potentially wasteful

I'm still running old SCSI disks and controllers that are 7 or 8 years old, got network storage devices made up of PII 400s (with raid controllers), my main w/station is P3 800 with a number of old IDE drives etc etc.

There's no need to spend out all the time on the latest kit when for the majority of uses the older stuff works just fine.

Sure, I've got a good(ish) spec machine for games but the rest runs perfectly adequately on W2K with a good amount of RAM.

Old 10 February 2005, 12:01 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
I hate to say, but all my old stuff goes in the bin Should I keep stuff back then? I didn't think, with the rate of acceleration of IT these days, that is was worth keeping old items. Am I wrong?
You're not wrong at all - that's your choice. But when I realised I had 4 soundcards in the garage (totalling over £400 in original purchase cost), and the only PC I now use on my desk utilises built in audio on the motherboard, I know I'm hoarding too much

I was gonna bin it all as it's too fiddly for ebay, but it's helped a few people on scoobynet keep old systems running a little longer, and got a few quid in the charity bucket so it's worth a little effort (not much, but a little )

Joolz

PS. Once the post dies, the rest goes in the bin
Old 10 February 2005, 12:05 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I would rather give away local from my pocket that pi55 around posting etc for sure. You always get the gimps complaining it don't work when you know it does but they have borked it during their install or it's not compatible with their current setup. It just aint worth the crap really
Old 10 February 2005, 12:38 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
I would rather give away local from my pocket that pi55 around posting etc for sure. You always get the gimps complaining it don't work when you know it does but they have borked it during their install or it's not compatible with their current setup. It just aint worth the crap really
All depends on how you want to spend your time. Wrapping a few parcels and getting a general good vibe for doing a good thing is no biggy for me. Any money that may be raised from getting rid of stuff I no longer have need for is additional extra on top of what I give to charity myself.

[edited to add - the gimps are on ebay, not here... I think most of the decent folk that frequent Scoobynet know the hardware is sold as seen and understand what that means. Anyone can see I'm not seelling shoddy old duff goods for a quick buck. I'm just losing a few components that were working fine pior to system upgrades and giving the cash to charity. If it doesn't work on their system then what do I do - ask the charity for the money back? I have some faith in the people on here, however miguided that may seem ].

Joolz

Last edited by jbryant; 10 February 2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10 February 2005, 12:44 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

You do gooder.. you just had to chuck the charity word in didn't you LOL

I spend my time working a full time job, and a part time 3 evening a week job, plus bringing up kids and juggling my car fanatacism, my soul fanatacism and my marriage.. plus I have to do the f ucking ironing... that's about as full as my life gets so no, I dont have time to wrap small parcels to be slagged off and complained at when it goes wrong their end coz they aint got a scoobydoo.
Old 10 February 2005, 12:47 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

.... I get enough crap from my customers I sell software to, who can't comprehend cut and paste, in the hours between what I mentioned above.

I need a bloody holiday!
Old 10 February 2005, 01:02 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

oooo dont supose you have any of these sound cards left do you ?
Old 10 February 2005, 12:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
I'm after some oldish memory sticks for an older pc!

But generally I would say the charity idea. I'm sure something will exist like that. Or maybe just hand them into a charity shop, I'm sure they'll take anything, someone will find a use for it.

Rich
tell me what you want

i have odd sticks lying around

also some laptop so dimms

mart
Old 10 February 2005, 01:15 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Soulgirl, thought you worked for an insurance company ?
Old 10 February 2005, 04:54 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mart but the good man Joolz has found something suitable and is sending them up, If they aren't the right thing I will ask you but I suspect they will be fine.

Rich