Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Choosing Op Sys on a PC - and removing it?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2005, 09:38 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing Op Sys on a PC - and removing it?

Chaps

Just reformatted an old laptoip that was running Win 2000. Done the full NTFS format etc - but when I turn it on, it comes up with the screen that allows you to choose the OS you want - ie Windows XP, then Windows 2000 and then Windows 2000 (there are 2 Win 2000 listed for some reason - but always have been).

Now Win 2000 is removed so this does not work, but where do you go to delete these options so it always runs XP and does not present this screen? I have done it before a long time ago but can I remember - nope - old age calls instead.

Thanks to the younger generation!

Andy
Old 26 January 2005, 12:32 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to edit your boot.ini to remove the win2k entry, and make XP the default, lookup on MS knowledge base to find the info

Or you can do it once booted up in XP.

Goto System Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery-Settings/

Change default operating system to XP, and uncheck Time to display list of operating systems.

You can edit the boot.ini if u need to from this screen to by clicking, you guessed it, edit!
Old 26 January 2005, 09:11 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

either that you or you havnt really format the hard drive u might have just installed xp on another partition. try clicking on the win 2000 and loading it up if it loads up you have two different windows on one hard drive, and may need to format again and delete the other partition
Old 26 January 2005, 09:21 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cong
either that you or you havnt really format the hard drive u might have just installed xp on another partition. try clicking on the win 2000 and loading it up if it loads up you have two different windows on one hard drive, and may need to format again and delete the other partition

would say you just need to change the boot.ini.... you will need to make sure you can see system and hidden files...im on a 98 box at the moment ( don't ask... Im having to relearn old skills after a merger ) so cant tell u the option name to show system files
Old 26 January 2005, 09:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Andy,

Sounds like you may have a "boot startup" program in your Master Boot Record (MBR).

There is the FDISK/MBR command that can clear this out - create a boot floppy and copy FDISK to it, boot and run!!

A fresh install should put the (correct) MBR back if required.

Search the web (e.g. http://www.techrescue.net/guides/prepdrv6j.asp) for info on this (undocumented) feature.

mb
Old 26 January 2005, 09:34 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Listen to me, all u need do is go into system properties from control panel, am i right or am i right?
Old 26 January 2005, 09:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
would say you just need to change the boot.ini.... you will need to make sure you can see system and hidden files...im on a 98 box at the moment ( don't ask... Im having to relearn old skills after a merger ) so cant tell u the option name to show system files
Rich,

net-runna does all this kinda stuff for ya!!!

Give us a shout if you are still interested

mb
Old 26 January 2005, 10:19 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Rich,

net-runna does all this kinda stuff for ya!!!

Give us a shout if you are still interested

mb

thanks to our last conv I installed RIS- since we last spoke I m a bit higher on the food chain ( Desktop manager for the worcestershire nhs - gp's and hospitals)

ris is really good and Ive coustomised it to our needs but its a pain when it goes wrong ( had 3 hours sleep getting it back running just last night )

now we have gone away from 100m links to all 3 sites to 150+ site with some 56k dial ups

but when npfit sorts out or crap links I might just be sending you some pm's

do you have a paper brochure , wouldn't mind leaving it on te boss's desk