Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is my GPS broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2004, 03:31 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is my GPS broken?

I've got a HP iPAQ 2210 running TomTom 3 or Memory Map along with a Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS.

I'm increasingly finding that TomTom is unusable, my position seems to lose accuracy and it shows me driving through a field or another road near to my current location. This is despite a good signal being indicated, i.e. 6+ satellites. I've seen inaccurate positioning with Memory Map as well. I think it may be the GPS causing it, it seems to have been less reliable since it overheated on a long trip

It was playing up last night when I got home from work, so I sat and observed for a while. My position was jumping around a bit and then in front of my eyes suddenly shifted by 100m or so. I noted the lat/long in the GPS status screen had also changed. I power cycled the GPS and then had a solid lock, my posistion was not moving.

I'm going to try driving around with memory map running for a few days see if that shows anything similar.

Anyone else had similar problems or is my GPS screwed and requiring replacement under warranty?

Cheers,

Graz