Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up a wireless network

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 06:29 PM
SCOOBYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Setting up a wireless network

Hi has anyone got any experience of setting up a wireless network using a Belkin wireless modem and router and notebook card. Have been trying for far too long today and got absolutely no-where.

Any suggestions welcome

Ta

Scoobyg
Old 24 November 2004, 06:32 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

lol ! I will watch this with interest.
I have a WLAN access point and a card in my laptop and have just stood and scratched my head a lot
Old 24 November 2004, 07:34 PM
Les Behan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Probably not too helpful but I sent my Belkin ADSL modem/gateway back to Expansys after much wailing and gnashing of teeth in favour of a 3Com model which worked as soon as I plugged it in.

Cheers
Les
Old 24 November 2004, 07:44 PM
oak
Scooby Regular

lol my mate got these from pc world last week and although i know nothing about computer he asked me for a hand,

its says on the box it takes three minutes to set up it!!! ha ha
it took hours and hours to get nowhere, he's got three pcs and they all had red boxes, we were over the moon when we seen a green box for the first time,
he doesn't use the router its just sitting in a box, in the end he just networked the computers off his computer, i think he said norton messed things up a bit?
Old 24 November 2004, 09:06 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Right here we go, spent a few days trying to get 3 laptops attached to a wireless lan. Right lets start.

first get one laptop attached to the lan via a cable and monitor what the router is doing and what is connected to it.

While in the router setup make sure that access control is off,and wep is off, ssid transmit is on.

Name your network at the router.

Look using one of the spare laptops for anywireless network, if it sees the network connect to it.

If it connects to the network, use that laptop to monitor the router and get the others connected via wireless.

If you want to use access control to limit the machines that can access the router select do this now. all 3 will now drop the connection as the router resets. either reconnect them computers or restart them , and they should all connect.

Repeat then for wep making sure you have made a note of the key before you hit ok on the router setup page. insert it into the first laptop and go from there.

If any problems still persist turn of one pof the wireless cards then connect that computer to the router with wire if you can to monitor what is happenning at the router .

took me a day of pulling my hair out before i did thath , and i had all 3 computers up and running in around an hr. with no probs.

If using only one computer procedure is almost the same, do initial router setup using a wire, then disconnect wire and try and get wireless to connect before trying to set access controls and wep up.

Only one which sometimes has problrems is mine due to to internal wireless card and magnesium chasis, shields the antenna. hope this helps .

Jase

Last edited by Barmyclown; 24 November 2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 24 November 2004, 09:24 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Got excactly the same prob with a Belkin ADSL one, got it al sorted with 4 people. Works ok when im only using it, then as soon as anyone else switches on i we or multiple users switch on, we keep connection but the internet just drops, even though it says on the router that were still on the net!

So confuzing!

Comper100
Old 24 November 2004, 11:43 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

If you're running Zone Alarm either turn it off until you get it all connected or add the ip range of your network into the trusted zone.

Cheers

Mark
Old 25 November 2004, 10:34 AM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

Please note ZA 5.0 has been known to cause problems with wireless network. I've had to revert mine back to ZA 4.5
Old 25 November 2004, 10:56 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If you're using a router with a built-in hardware firewall, you shouldn't really need to use Zone Alarm at all.
I've also had some problems setting up a wireless network - in the end I ended up taking a spade bit to the bedroom floor and dropping a cable down into the kitchen !!
It helps if the the router and wireless cards are the same manufacturer - I had a Dlink router and Dlink card in the laptop and it worked ok. The Dlink router gave up the ghost (one month after the warranty expired ) so I bought a netgear one, and now the laptop (with Dlink card in it) won't connect to the network.
Old 25 November 2004, 08:48 PM
SCOOBYG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys. You will laugh when I tell you what the problem was. Called Belkin support who were very helpful (not). Think he was just reading out the manual for me.
Took the wireless card out of the laptop and got a replacement from the shop and got it working in about 5 mins. 6 hours wasted when the thing was knackered all along

Now comes the fun bit trying to get WEP working......