Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sidewinder Wheel and Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 10:17 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidewinder Wheel and Pedals

Hi again.

I recently bought a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Kit from a colleague at work. He ran it fine on Windows 98. I however have XP. I tried installing the drivers from the CD but it just tells me that I havent met the system requirements. Microsofts site is useless, no info what so ever. And it wont Plug n Play.

I downloaded a 4.0 Driver from another (Non MS site) made no difference. I tried going through the Control Panel and setting it up as a Custom device. No joy.

Im "sure" it should work on XP somehow. Anybody got a VERY simple way of getting it to work. Links/Advice anything.

Thanks for reading

p.s. Previous owner has said if it wont work he'll take it back. Should I take him up on his offer and buy something else?

Last edited by rr_ww; 19 November 2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 20 November 2004, 06:00 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I had this...
In the depths of MS, it's revealed that XP doesn't support midi input devices.
Is your's midi (15 pin D connector)? Ask your coleague what OS he uses and why he wanted to sell....
I bought a USB one, was not impressed as I now have two, one of them is useless.

Any Win98 users want a FF wheel and pedals...?
Old 20 November 2004, 03:58 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Goto control panel/gaming devices, click on Add and there should be an option for Microsoft Sidewinder(Auto Detect). Select this and you should find the controller will be detected.

Chris
Old 20 November 2004, 07:23 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
I had this...
In the depths of MS, it's revealed that XP doesn't support midi input devices.
Is your's midi (15 pin D connector)? Ask your coleague what OS he uses and why he wanted to sell....
I bought a USB one, was not impressed as I now have two, one of them is useless.

Any Win98 users want a FF wheel and pedals...?
Its a Midi connector with a USB (1 Im told) adapter. He runs 98, but since getting married he doesnt use it so much. When you plug it in it turns left and right, guessing thats some sort of check sequence. So Im hoping that means its working internally.

Originally Posted by chrisowe
Goto control panel/gaming devices, click on Add and there should be an option for Microsoft Sidewinder(Auto Detect). Select this and you should find the controller will be detected.

Chris

Unfortuantly, been there done that It gives me an error message saying refer to driver information.

I was wondering however if the driver for the newer version 2 of the wheel will work on XP and therefore be backwardly compatible. Or do all new devices assume XP will autodetec and install correctly.

Damn Microsoft idiocy. Or is it just so you have to buy new items every few years!
Old 22 November 2004, 10:39 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Little BTTT

The actual warning message is

Your Gameport or Gameport drivers are not properly configured. Please consult the Device Manager
EDITED:

Im probably going to give this back to the guy. Whats the best wheels/pedal sets availiable for XP? With Force feedback.

Last edited by rr_ww; 22 November 2004 at 10:45 PM.