Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Lousy WebHosting Company, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 10:42 AM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lousy WebHosting Company, Please Help

Dear all,

Set up a domain with email and web hosting functions with 4UHosting about 2 months ago. Could never start building the website and only emails were functional. Have sent countless emails requesting them to rectify this problems but no replies. Called the support line (0870-number) and put on some lousy call waiting for countless times and never had any answer. Longest I had manage to wait was 1hour 24 minutes.

Worst thing is, email stopped functioning last week and tried emailing them and calling but to no avail. Wrote formal letter of complaint but not replies. They seem to be still trading and taking payments but no support available at all!

Finally, got another new domain to keep business going. Can anyone help in suggesting what to do next? How do I approach office of fair trading or anywhere to make formal complaints?

Thanks in advance for the kind help.

MK
Old 16 November 2004, 12:02 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

You could try Nominet and see if they can help out.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/
Old 16 November 2004, 12:46 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

I am with the same people unfortunately.

I bought my site at the beginning of the month it was the windows basic pack. If you now have a look on their site you will see they don't actually offer it anymore.

Now the package is meant to come with 1 DB, either MySQL or SQL Server. The admin for SQL Server plain doesn't work and I can't get access to the MySQL server from anywhere externally. Now I use the Plesk control panel, which I guess is the windows flavour of control panel cos all of the FAQs relate to something else cpanel I think.

I have held on the phone for a total of 4 hours now and get nothing. As soon as my support ticket got anywhere near complicated they stopped replying. I even threatened them with doing a chargeback on my credit card and they didn't respond.

I'm actually happy with my site and the hosting cos I am using an Access file to handle the DB stuff but I haven't tried using the email yet.
Old 16 November 2004, 03:14 PM
damatrix
Scooby Regular

i hear this to often, people getting ripped off or treated badly buy what appears to be a genuine company. The trouble with webhosting is anyone can set up and claim to no what there doing, there are no standards..

with out sounding like spam, if anyone needs decent hosting, feel free to shout me with your needs
Old 16 November 2004, 04:20 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

You don't say whether you paid up front for a year or whether you pay monthly subs... if it's monthly you can simply canx the direct debit. If it was yearly, you have given them ample opportunity to sort out your problems so you can sue them through the small claims court. If you need any further details give us a shout

Or, as said, do a credit card charge back - not sure what documentation you would need to supply before they would refund you - I have never been in that position before.

Last edited by Soulgirl; 16 November 2004 at 04:23 PM.
Old 16 November 2004, 04:33 PM
damatrix
Scooby Regular

if it was me i would contact ur credit card company.. there often very helpfull and more then happy to fight ur corner.
Old 16 November 2004, 04:43 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Ha ha.. just read this there:
Let me just say the support and help I received from Chris at 4hosting.co.uk was absolutley second to none
and...

We are a small, family run outfit with many years of experience in I.T. The staff at EMS have backgrounds in customer services, project management, technical support & site development so you know you are in safe hands. We think our low prices will have you smiling every time you visit your website.
You must be lying black knight LOL... only kidding. Call up and ask for Chris His full name appears to be Chris Drayton

Trending Topics

Old 16 November 2004, 05:40 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

It would be nice to be actually able to get through to them. I have tried 4 times during business hours and have once waited an hour on hold just to see what happens, the answer is nothing. I'm guessing it's a small one man band type of thing reselling webspace and they just can't keep up with support issues.

At the moment it suits my needs as it's cheap and it does what I need it to so I'm gonna let them keep the money.
Old 16 November 2004, 11:19 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I'm sure there must be someone from here near them who could pop in and have a chat
Old 16 November 2004, 11:36 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I just shot them an email via their site
Hello there,

Is there a number I can call to talk to a real person about a new account for switching my hosting? I have been told that Chris is a great guy to deal with.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Karen x
Old 17 November 2004, 08:27 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

I will be interested to see if you get a reply

I sent them a very nasty email with lots of threatening stuff in it and got nothing back, you would have thought if someone said they were going to do a chargeback they may have been a little interested

As I said the number on there site was completely useless, never picked up by anyone, even when I chose the sales option.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:25 AM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Default Cheers

Thanks for the comments.

Firstly, I need someone to actually answer the phone before I could ask to speak to Chris. Paid for a full year.

Then, the website never functioned since first day of purchase roughly 7 weeks ago and no replies were made to my request for support. My company is CFI Europe and hence the domain www.cfieurope.com. Says its not configured, you can try it out. I mean 7 weeks wihtout a single reply and I must have sent about 2 emails a week without threats whatsoever.

Just want to get my website and emails up and running. Bought a new domain www.cfi-europe.com now. If 4u hosting can't be bothered with support, at least I would like to be able to redirect customers to my new site.

I don't want to lose my website. Anyone care to help me transfer it away from 4U hosting?

Kind regards

MK
Old 17 November 2004, 11:27 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing you went for the windows package if you are using Plesk for the control panel.

I'll try and help if I can as I've actually got my site up and running. What problems do you have? Can you log into the control panel?
Old 17 November 2004, 12:48 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Frosty,

Can't even log on, it was not configured.

You could try, I've pmed you some details. Thanks
Old 17 November 2004, 01:08 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Oh for the logon you need the following address:

https://www.cfieurope.com:8443

Just enter you login and p/w as per your pm and it lets you in, not that you can do much cos the admin hasn't set up you domain properly and you can't get access to that.

Have you uploaded anything to it yet?

Last edited by Frosty The Snowman; 17 November 2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 17 November 2004, 04:46 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate,

I can't even access the website so cant even upload anything.

I cant even get to cfieurope.com hence cant set up web or mails at all, so it's money paid for F-all.

thanks very much for the help. anyone else had luck contacting 4uhosting?
Old 17 November 2004, 05:11 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I managed to get into the link above.. is it that one you mean't black night? Are you sure your firewall or browser settings aren't holding you back?

If you like, and trust me, you could let me have your ftp details - I can try it out in my ftp client and see what goes
Old 17 November 2004, 06:04 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Well the link above does definitely work cos I've used it myself.

I've also tried ftping to the site now and it won't let you in either using the ftp.cfieurope.com or the ip of 81.29.75.216, which is their temporary address.

Again sorry I couldn't help I think you just caught them when they quit, or whatever they've done.
Old 17 November 2004, 11:01 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I can't praise BlueWho.com enough - instant response 24 hours a day - I use them and am very happy.

Mike
Old 18 November 2004, 10:09 AM
black knight
Scooby Regular

If they dont even reply to mails, how can i transfer my domain to another company assuming they will just ignore as well.

the domain name is more crucial then the annual fee paid, i just want to get it back.

any ideas?