Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop problem

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2004, 03:07 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop problem

I've got a Compaq Evo N150 who's networking seeming to have packed up. This lappy has previous been attached to our LAN and also, via a crossover cable , to another lappy. None of this now works. If I attach a network cable it's acknowledged insofar as it says that there's a 100mbps LAN connection. But it will not accept an assign IP nor will it ping anywhere ont he LAN if I give a static IP. It will ping on loop back.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling TCPIP - no difference. I've tried a PCMCIA network card - doesn't want to work either.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

TIA
Mark
Old 09 July 2004, 04:13 PM
Tearz
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by markr1963
I've got a Compaq Evo N150 who's networking seeming to have packed up. This lappy has previous been attached to our LAN and also, via a crossover cable , to another lappy. None of this now works. If I attach a network cable it's acknowledged insofar as it says that there's a 100mbps LAN connection. But it will not accept an assign IP nor will it ping anywhere ont he LAN if I give a static IP. It will ping on loop back.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling TCPIP - no difference. I've tried a PCMCIA network card - doesn't want to work either.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

TIA
Mark
Have you tried a different "straight" cable?
Old 09 July 2004, 05:00 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Yep. Tried patch cables into our LAN for both lappies. No good. there's no netwrok traffic at all either transmitted or received. I've managed to dial direct to our server and the lappy has been allocated an IP. Can't ping the LAN or be pinged by any PC on it. There's no firewall running.

Good opportunity to clear the crap of the lappy and start again

Mark