Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to format Hard drive for XP pro

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2004, 03:44 PM
the hooded claw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to format Hard drive for XP pro

Yeah im a noob at this.

Can someone tell me exactly how to do this, or give me a link to a site that can. Cause this damn computer is running like a SLUG.

All help would be great.

Ta very much.

Last edited by the hooded claw; 28 February 2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 28 February 2004, 04:28 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Stick the XP Pro CD in the drive, reboot machine and (assuming BIOS is set to boot from CD as first device) Windows setup will start. Follow the instructions to do a fresh install, it will take care of everything for you

I trust you realise that by formatting the hard drive you will lose any documents, emails, favorites etc!
Old 28 February 2004, 05:31 PM
the hooded claw
Scooby Regular

Just 1 more question.

I have 2 hard drives will both of them be formatted??. If so can i pull the IDE cable of the other drive out to get around this problem??

THX

Originally Posted by Fig
Stick the XP Pro CD in the drive, reboot machine and (assuming BIOS is set to boot from CD as first device) Windows setup will start. Follow the instructions to do a fresh install, it will take care of everything for you

I trust you realise that by formatting the hard drive you will lose any documents, emails, favorites etc!

Last edited by the hooded claw; 28 February 2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 28 February 2004, 06:02 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Hang on! Before we go any further, I'm assuming that you want to reformat to re-install XP Pro?

If this is CORRECT, then follow my instructions above - The installer will ask you if you wish to repair an existing installation (I don't recommend it) or continue with a fresh install. After selecting fresh install, it will show you the existing drives/partitions and ask you where to install. I suggest you delete the existing partition(s) on the drive where XP is installed at present, then tell the installer to use that partition for the install.

As long as you can work out which drive/partition you want to leave alone, you'll be OK - but as a precaution backup any vital info first!
Old 28 February 2004, 07:30 PM
the hooded claw
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks for the help Fig, ill give it a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed ill be able to pull it off.