Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SQL 2000 Replication Question

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2004, 11:55 AM
Markys 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face SQL 2000 Replication Question

We have two SQL servers in two locations, both are to be updated by users at each of the sites and the databases need to in sync. I am thinking Merger replication as it handels this but what would be the latancy between the update form one site tio another, the link is 2mb and always on.
Old 17 February 2004, 01:55 PM
Edmund
Scooby Newbie

I have been running such as system for two years. Latency is not a good term here. You will set a synchronization process to run every ? minutes/hours and that would be your latency. We are running it every 3 minutes and it's been fine.

I recommend you to install firewalls, or keep SQL servers behind firewalls and use VPN to create connection between them. For merge replication this connection does not need to be always on. That helps to keep system running (in a case if one SQL server would fail).

I am sure you may have more questions, e-mail me and I shall try to answer as many as I can.

Old 17 February 2004, 01:56 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

marky,

Well the merge replication has a push and pull subscriber at each end and will be the slowest form of replication but in terms of latency dont think you will notice any considerable performance hit.

Is your 2mb fixed ADSL? If so what I would say is I wouldnt merge replicate two DBs using broadband because in real terms it isnt 24/7, just a thought.

Another thing why not run both sites off 1 master db?

cheers

Gary
Old 17 February 2004, 02:02 PM
Markys 2
Scooby Regular

Its a fixed pipe not ADSL.
Old 17 February 2004, 07:49 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you set your replication up with server names, not IP addressess liek one of our customers did, they spent 3 months trying to get it working, I went in and sorted it in a few hours

If need be add entries for each server in the local hosts files