Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband - which one do YOU use?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2004, 08:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broadband - which one do YOU use?

Before anybody says "Do a search", the deals/performance of these ISPs change from day to day. So I'm after the latest best info - from ScoobyNet guys!!

As a comparison, I'm currently typing this on a 33.3K connection (I know, I know...)

What's the best ISP in terms of cheap monthly payments/free modem etc.....

I'm currently with Virgin.net, but they're a bit stingey with the email addys and webspace. Plus you have to buy the modem.

However, I'd like to keep my Virgin.net emails the same (I'll change back to pay-as-you-go). Will my Virgin.net email addresses still work under a different connection, so long as the Virgin account is kept active?

Thanks - looking forward to coming out of the dark-ages!!!

Dan (although I do have a T1 connection @ work )
Old 15 February 2004, 08:20 PM
Davie
Scooby Regular

I use Telewest 512kbps and have had very little problems. The worst of which being having to re-set the modem on occasion.

I also run a broadband router to up to 4 other machines and all run happily.

As far as e-mail addys and webspace go, have a look at a mate of mines company: http://www.ancilehosting.co.uk

For hosting deals you can't get cheaper. Active Control panel and options list as long as your arm!
Old 15 February 2004, 08:20 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Im currently with NTL on their 1mb service which costs £34.99 a month. Ive seen bad things said about NTL in the past but i honestly cant fault them in a whole year of service I have not had 1 single second of downtime, download speeds are always good, not much more you can ask for!

Edited to say, well over a year ago i converted my virgin net dialup to a pay as you go one and still access my e-mails via my NTL service. This may just be because i believe virgin/ntl share dns/hostname stuff so they cant tell who is who but might work for any isp!

Last edited by djuk; 15 February 2004 at 08:23 PM.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:30 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

you might wanna consider pipex if you want good value broadband. always consider the activation fees and not just the monthly fees! pipex dont charge activation if you stay for a year.

dont bother with the 150k from tiscali. have a look at www.cpbb.co.uk and www.bulldogdsl.com.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:35 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

I'm with pipex on their 1 meg line. Most of my mates on pipex aswell. No one has ever had a problem. You also get a lot for your money. think its 12 email accounts and webspace.

I'd recommend pipex.
Old 15 February 2004, 10:40 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

Another vote for pipex here
Old 15 February 2004, 11:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

So, I'm looking at -

Pipex Extreme SoloToGo @ £23.99 p/m and the initial £17.99 for the modem.

Sound about right?

Dan
Old 15 February 2004, 11:23 PM
Corgi
Scooby Regular

I've just signed up with Hi-Velocity. They have an offer at the moment on their 1+2meg lines, the 2meg is £34.99 pm. After reading ADSLGuide they seem as good as anyone and their customer service is better than most, Antho is the sales manager and he's on the forum all the time.
Old 16 February 2004, 12:27 AM
PPPscooby
Scooby Regular

Using freedom2surf, paying £22.99 for a 512k ADSL connection, best site to use for research and comprisions is here
Old 16 February 2004, 08:29 AM
jono400
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by suba
you might wanna consider pipex if you want good value broadband. always consider the activation fees and not just the monthly fees! pipex dont charge activation if you stay for a year.

dont bother with the 150k from tiscali. have a look at www.cpbb.co.uk and www.bulldogdsl.com.
Went to sign up online with pipex myself last night, but when I was asked to enter my telephone number I would be using with there service, I was told that unfortunately that line is not compatable with there b/band service,I know that this area where I live has been b/band enabled although no cable networxs as yet . I was then informed that if I wish to have the line changed to enable this b/b service I would be billed £50 straight from BT. is this the standard line activation fee that is talked about by most b/band companies ?? and if so, you mention that pipex dont charge an activation fee if you stay for one year, any ideas how you sign up for a years contract ?? as I am sure the package I wanted " solo to go 500 " at £23.44 a month and £17.57 set up fee was just a monthly contract ??!!

also take it this £17.57 set up fee is just a modem and line filters ??

will get there in the end am sure !!! just all a bit confusing at first !!!!

cheers,
john..
Old 16 February 2004, 11:15 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

sorry john, i cant help you on that as i dont have broadband myself! i am on a dialup!!!

i suggest you buy your own adsl modem router which will set you back about £40. at least with a router, you can hook up more PCs to share the line. i know it's extra cost but in the long run, it will be worth it.

have a lookat www.ebuyer.co.uk and www.dabs.com. do a search on adsl modem.
Old 16 February 2004, 05:03 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

just ordered pipex

Next, I've got to sort out a hub for my XBox & Mac

Still, one step at a time

Dan