Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any Oracle DBA's on here???

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2004, 10:43 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Any Oracle DBA's on here???

Have a quick technical question, we have an Oracle 7.3.4 workgroup server running on NT4 which is starting to struggle processor performance wise. Currently twin PIII Xeon, it has no memory or disk space issues and only has about 45 users.

Can anyone give me the recommended hardware config for disk (i.e. stripe sets for O/S, index tables, data tables, logs etc etc as am looking at moving the lot on to a new faster box as a temp fix. Also how many processors can this code support? Before anyone says, I know 7.3.4 isn't supported anymore but binning it isn't an option at the moment. Need to just keep it trundling along for another 12 months.

Any help mucho appreciated
Old 12 February 2004, 10:55 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Don't know how many CPU's it supports, but I've seen 7.3.something running on a quad processor box. You're better off running two very fast processors than four quite fast ones. If disk performance isn't a problem, you probably don't need to worry too much about it? Unless the disks controllers are cheap/nasty and hogging the processor?
Old 12 February 2004, 11:03 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by jlanng
Don't know how many CPU's it supports, but I've seen 7.3.something running on a quad processor box. You're better off running two very fast processors than four quite fast ones. If disk performance isn't a problem, you probably don't need to worry too much about it? Unless the disks controllers are cheap/nasty and hogging the processor?
I wouldn't have thought so. Its running on a Proliant ML530 with with a 128mb 5304 smartarray controller.
Old 12 February 2004, 11:32 AM
Rich B
Scooby Regular

If you can afford a RAID 1+0 config then go for that and stick everything on it - its what Oracle recommends (SAME - stripe and mirror everything).

http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availab...pdf/MAA_WP.pdf - have a search for SAME within the pdf

Rich
Old 16 February 2004, 08:31 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rich B
If you can afford a RAID 1+0 config then go for that and stick everything on it - its what Oracle recommends (SAME - stripe and mirror everything).

http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availab...pdf/MAA_WP.pdf - have a search for SAME within the pdf

Rich
Excellent Rich, thats what I was after.