Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2004, 10:44 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the combination of MS Autoroute and Pocket Streets work well ? I use TomTom2 on my Ipaq, but was looking at Autoroute/MapPoint and Pocket Streets for the Ipaq. Does it give the same functionality ?

Dave
Old 16 January 2004, 12:04 AM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have to export individual map areas from mappoint to pocket streets' mps format - this is a bit laborious but you soon build up a catalogue of cities and regular haunts - I transfer mine on an sd card - e.g. central manchester in reasonable detail for the pocket pc is about 5mb

pocket streets can hook up to the popular gps devices for ipaqs etc and navigate you - but it is nothing like tom tom navigator which is a much more integrated system with voice direction and 3d animated road view.

mappoint is great for finding addresses and planning journeys etc + printing maps - it is not the same thing as tom tom however
using pocket streets on a pocket pc is a bit fiddly too - you constantly have to zoom in + out again due to v small screen area

you can search in pocket streets for roads etc though - works ok

I love mappoint and it never ceases to amaze me how they pack so much info into the data files but I hardly ever use pocket streets - it may be free but it is a chore exporting the map files

Paul W