Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

web based email

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 10:24 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Our ISP, Demon, is having a nightmare with email ATM. Messages are literally taking days to get through. Can't be arsed with setting up different dialups for different SMTP servers so for emergency use I reckon web based.
Other than Hotmail and Yahoo are there any others worth a look? The bigger the mailbox the better and preferably free 'cos I'm a tight git

Ta muchly
Mark
Old 16 October 2003, 10:38 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Demon are having a mare aren't they...

I have been known to use Titan which is run by a fellow SN member
Old 16 October 2003, 10:45 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Titan good.

Old 16 October 2003, 11:11 AM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Demon are having a mare aren't they...
Nicely put, Puff. But seriously, this situation is ridiculous. Not only are we not getting emails on time but we've had some messages land out of sequence.

I've used Titan for dial up access. Very good performance. Their webmail looks the mutts but may be a bit too much for what, in theory at least, should be occassional use.

Mark
Old 16 October 2003, 11:33 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
They come out of sequence because when the mail server can't handle it, they're bounced back to origin to try again later. So sometimes the queue order gets out of sync. In theory ALL your emails *should* turn up at some point. I can't remember the timeout period (someone?) before they are simply just classed as non-deliverable and deleted.

Why don't you throw your mail via Titan to Demon, then if Demon has a prob, you can pull it off Titan's servers instead - or just route it via Titan altogether. Although Demon may supply your connection, they don't need to host your mail as well.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:16 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

I had discussions with Lee about something similar a couple of months ago with a view to moving our other office's email from Tiscali (if you reckon Demon is bad....). He wasn't interested because of the potential size of some of our email. Some messages are > 20Mb (which tiscali can't/won't handle) and he didn't want to compromise Titan's performance. We don't have that many messages that big but I took his point.

A dilemma I'm about to face is whether to stick with Demon ('cos its fine when its working) when we upgrade to ADSL or ship domain names, email and stuff to somewhere else with all the hassle that goes with it.

Mark
Old 16 October 2003, 08:02 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need to set the secondary MX to spool if you want to read it there whilst your primary is down, it won't spool on its own, just attempt delivery later.