Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP with Service Pack 1a

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2003, 12:22 AM
KenE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else suffered from this or know what could be causing it ?

XP2100+ cpu
512mb sdram
Abit KT7A with latest bios
Geforce 3 Ti200 128mb DDR
PCI Modem
Soundblaster PCI 128
1 x 30gb ATA100 IDE disk - brand new
1 x 60gb ATA100 IDE disk, 6 months old but OK as per factory certification test.
1 x 52x CDRom
1 x 16x Liteon CD Rewriter

Install Windows XP Home with SP1a on 30gb drive, installs fine, no problems. Partition and format 60gb drive. Both with NTFS, full formatting, not quick version.

Install latest VIA Hyperion drivers, no problem
Install latest NVIDIA drivers, no problem

All works fine, shuts down, starts up ok etc.

Next morning, switch on and it won't boot fully. Screen says Windows is starting up, is stuck there, won't move even after 2 hours or more.

Try using F8 on boot and selecting various options, none will load completely.

Reboots from install disk and goes through to Repair. This runs until it gets to the screen saying 39 minutes to complete, won't go any further.

Reboots again and removes partition, creates new partition, reinstalls form scratch, everything fine again. After a while the same thing happens again.

Before installing XP this machine had been running perfectly without incident for 6 months with windows 98.

Does anyine have any clue as to what is going on ??

I have searched microsoft's site and can only find a patch for a disk corruption on shutdown but this should already have been included in sp1a, I installed it anyway but it makes no difference.

I have tried running the compatability check and all is OK

I have resorted to changing hardware, have changed the motherboard so far and removed the soundcard and done the lot again, still the same.

I have other PCs with XP on them and have had no problems, this one I am using is a laptop that is 5 years old and it is fine, but I'm only on sp1. Could it be the version, are there major problems with sp1a ? I can't believe there is nothing on the microsoft site if it is a current problem affecting loads of people.

Can anyone help me with this, it's taking over my life !!

Thanks in advance

Ken
Old 23 September 2003, 01:23 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I'm not really up on the latest SP releases for XP, but if sp1 is working ok on your other machine why dont you just stick to using sp1 not sp1a?

IMHO windows 2k is much better, then XP. XP is "toy town" OS!
Old 23 September 2003, 02:01 AM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

sp1 is no longer available to download. sp1a is the same but is missing ms java virtual machine iirc.
Old 23 September 2003, 05:31 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Ken
I have service pack 1 on a CD if its any good for you?

Bob
Old 23 September 2003, 09:22 PM
KenE
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I have it sorted, by using a copy of XP original, ie before the service packs, is ok so far so fingers crossed.

I have sp1 on cd already so may install it if it keeps going. The problem with sp1a is that it comes already included with the newest versions of xp so there's no getting away from it. Perhaps it works ok on other setups, I'm trying it out on another pc tomorrow anyway so maybe I'll find out.

Thanks again

Ken