Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

lotus notes help

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2003, 03:43 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The company have just switched from notes to outlook and have said they will not allow us to keep our notes database for much longer.

I currently have 10,000 work emails stored, with around 100mb in the main database, and the rest in an archive file on the network (current size around 1.1Gb!)

How can I get this all off the network onto my PC, with out having to do lots of copying and pasting?

I tried copying the archive file to C:\, then changing the archive properties to that location, but it seemed to cause an error when i reopened it. Is there any other ways to copy the file across? what about the main database, can this be simply copied to the C:\ drive and then operated from there? What if i move machines in the future, will it be possible to set up notes on another machine and what files should i back up for that to be possible? (*.id)?

BTW, yes, i do really need all these emails, just in case.

Gareth 'not holding his breath for our overworked IT dept' Allan
Old 28 August 2003, 03:50 PM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

OK, updated, copying archive file to C: worked this time.

Now i have everything in an archive - How can i move this to another machine once network support for this is removed, or a new machine thats never had notes?

Gareth
Old 28 August 2003, 04:06 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what version of notes?

Actions..Archiving.... Settings..
Old 28 August 2003, 05:25 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
To view any Notes databases, mail or otherwise you will always need a Notes client.

The mailbox need not be on a server, yo can open local databases kept on your harddrive. Not sure about the security permissions though.

10,000 emails.....you *really* need to keep them.....
Old 28 August 2003, 06:45 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Check in your Outlook client to see if you can add the Lotus Notes service - as it sounds like that Outlook has been installed after Notes, it should be present. If you can, create a new PST file in Outlook and copy all yer Notes mail into the PST file.
Old 29 August 2003, 10:12 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

If they have switched mail clients, I would like to think they would give you a means to convert a local notes database to a pst file. I would ask them.
I beleive there is a conversion utility for Notes to convert
nsf files to pst's.