Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PDA: Palm Tungsten C -> GPS, Bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2003, 12:48 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking to buy a PDA with the primary use of it being a GPS unit, but I also want to use it to connect to the internet while I'm away from my computer.

The PDA that I'm looking at in the Palm Tungsten C which looks to have exactly the specification that I'd want except for one thing - bluetooth (to connect up with my phone for web surfing). So my first question is, does the Palm Bluetooth SD Card
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...466881-8230843) work with the Tungsten C, and will it be able to connect up to my Nokia 8910i?

As I'll be wanting to use it as a GPS unit (for the first time when I head of to the south of France next week), will the C work with my Origin B2 (www.originb2.com) as a GPS unit if fitted with software such as TomTom RoutePlanner(http://www.tomtom.com/products/platf...age=1#section6)?

Also, what could I use to hold the Palm in place whilst in my car?

I've previously had an Ipaq 3870 but didn't get on with it too well so I'm not going to go down the Compaq/HP route again.

[Edited by andym172 - 7/21/2003 12:58:02 AM]
Old 21 July 2003, 02:53 AM
skyenet
Scooby Regular

Andy

The optional cable (£45) for connecting a PDA to a Origin B2 unit will have a serial connector to which a PDA can be added. So it may not connect directly to the Palm and you may need yet another cable.

I use a GPS unit with my Palm 515 that just clips straight on to the back of it. http://www.navman-mobile.com/html/500.htm This has the advantage that the Palm can be a portable GPS unit. The inlcuded car mounting kit solves the problem of in-car mounting and the power cord not only powers the GPS unit but also charges the Palm. Plus the package includes SMARTPATH GPS Software - For Palm™ OS with 125,000, Towns and Cities, for 13 Countries in 5 Languages. Not sure if the do a GPS unit for the Tungsten yet.

If you manage to get the required cables to connect the Palm to the Origin B2 you will still have to figure out how to mount it and how to power it.

The other thing to watch is that the Origin B2 is illegal in France and if the French Police find a Radar Detector or GPS Device such as the Origin B2 in your car, you many be liable to a fine and have the equipment confiscated.

I have a Palm 515 which I have used with a Noika 6210 for e-mail stuff connecting via infra red and they worked fine together (Not used Bluetooth).
Old 22 July 2003, 12:41 AM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice skyenet!

I've been advised that a Tungsten T is probably more suited to me, and that I should wait until sfter this Wednesday to buy one - wasn't able to tell me any more than that...

I'll see what Wednesday brings and take it from there.

Thanks again!

Andy.