Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP (not a newbie, previously registered)

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2003, 06:32 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have 2 users set up on my p.c, me (admin), other user (limited)

i can print fine, user cannot print anything, if i change user to admin, can then print ??

any help

[Edited by f1 - 7/15/2003 7:00:23 PM]
Old 15 July 2003, 08:10 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Is the printer set up as shared in printer/properties/sharing?
Old 15 July 2003, 08:19 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Found this, dont know it it will help.

Keep in mind that with Windows NT, 2000 and XP, permission to do things is granted to "Users" not "Computers".

In a Workgroup (peer to peer) networking situation with Windows NT, 2000 or XP, there is no way to grant permissions on one computer (b in your case) to user accounts from another computer (e.g. computer a). The computers do not "trust" each other.

The reason that Administrator can print is most likely because you have the same password for the Administrator account on both computers. Each computer has and account called Administrator, so that user can access things on other computers as long as the password is the same on both.

Probably, the reason that a user logged on at computer B can print on computer A's printer is because the Guest account is enabled on computer A.

Another possibility is that the user logged on at computer B also has a user account on computer A and the passwords are the same for both accounts.

You could enable the Guest account on computer B so that anyone logged on at another computer can use computer B's printer. Enabling the Guest account creates a big security hole for that computer and is not recommended except in a small networks and where security is not an issue. If your network is
connected to the Internet, enabling the Guest account is definitely not a good idea unless you have a good, well configured firewall.

Another alternative would be to create all the user accounts on all the computers. This is an administrative burden especially since the passwords for the accounts will not be synchronized automatically; every user will have to change their password on every computer manually.

If you have more than, say, 6 computers, you might want to consider having a Windows 2000 Domain. Domains were invented to reduce the security administration; you only have the user accounts on one computer and all the other computers can grant permissions to Domain user accounts. You need to
have at the Server version of Windows NT or 2000 to create a Domain. If you decide to go that route, I strongly recommend you get some professional help or be prepared to do quite a bit of reading. Properly configuring a Domain is a non-trivial task.
Old 15 July 2003, 08:22 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

JYE,

sorry didn't make it clear, it's on same computer, XP allows seperate users for screens programs etc. Don't think your reply will help( or am i seeing it wrongly?)

Steve
Old 15 July 2003, 10:44 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Prob m8, best do a search in Google groups, thats where I found that reply.

I havent ever had problem with a similar setup so cant really offer much more, GL anyhow
Old 15 July 2003, 10:53 PM
JohnnyRob
Scooby Regular

Give both users administrator rights - I think that'll sort it...
Old 16 July 2003, 05:06 AM
f1
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks for the replies, will set both to admin, easiest way !!!

Steve