Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

And I can do WHAT?..about this

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2003, 09:55 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Copied from another thread cos i reckoned a retard like me needs all the help he can get

Right then, here's what happened. Hanslow helped me clear down my Hard Drive (Formatting? ) Did that, re-installed OS and Office 2000, cool everyone's happy
Then it all goes Pete Tong, I think that what has happened is that My Modem/sound card,(Riptide World International ) My Video Card/Graphics (AGP V3800/16m) and a thing called an Audio Riser card have all lost thier drivers.
When I bought the PC 4-5 yeras ago, I got a recovery disc with it which is now long lost Am I right in saying that the drivers for this hardware would have been on this disk?
I have tried getting the machine to identify the hardware, which it sort of does, but obviously out of the hundreds of drivers on the Windows 98 Disc, None of them suit my stuff. Typical!
Any Ideas?
I got the hardware info by opening the PC and reading the Mfr details off of the cards direct.
Currently my Computer screen is running in 640 x 480 mode and am not able to adjust this through the Display thingy. It won't let me Also if i try to change from 16 bit to 256 (or whatever it is ) the machine reboots and then tells me that my graphics card can't take the pace.
Pretty sure it's just a case of know how, so over to you guys

Should I just go back to PC world and ask 'em for a replacement recovery disk? or will they just deny all knowledge and try flog me a new computer?

Mikey

Old 12 June 2003, 10:05 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Right here's what you do....unplug your base unit. Get in that fapping loud 4 wheel drive thing of yours, bring it round here. Leave it with me for half a day....pick it up in the evening all set up for you

I'll have a poke around inside, find out for definite what everything is, download the drivers off the web, burn them onto a CD for you for safe keeping and install them all.

Glad you are doing most of it yourself though so that you will learn a little. Problem with the recovery disk is that it will be a windows setup that is an image that just gets dumped back on. I always think you are better installing things from the proper install disks than a recovery one.....

Old 12 June 2003, 11:21 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Seeya this afternoon dude about 13:00hrs ok?

Mikey
Old 12 June 2003, 11:22 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

No problem chap....I'll get the kettle on in case you have time for a brew

Should be all sorted for you by the time you finish work