Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

on board sound ????

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2003, 01:02 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one got experience enabling sound on mother boards.
I've been into bios and enabled a couple of settings and on reboot it was recognised by windows as a new device but couldnt find any drivers.
I am in the middle of a rebuild and install of windows xp upgrade and for oncei am taking my time and making sure everything works before i upgrade windows.
Old 14 May 2003, 01:30 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Use the original m/board driver CD or get on the manufacturers website

Darren
Old 14 May 2003, 01:31 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

WHat kind of motherboard is it ?

Typically you don't need to touch the bios.

I notice you're doing an upgrade to WinXP - so I assume you've installed something like Win98 or WinME first ?

Win98 / WinME probably won't recognise the onboard sound, so you'll need an additional driver that came with your motherboard. Alternatively if you know the make and model of the motherboard you can goto the company's webisite and download the appropriate drivers there.

Getting WinME / Win98 to run ok with your sound isn't that much of an issue anyway if you're upgrading to WinXP.

WinXP will attempt to detect the onboard sound and has much more chance of doing so correctly than Win98 and WinME.

My advice would be to ignore the onboard sound til WinXP is installed. Then if you have problems refer to the motherboard manufacturers website for the latest WinXP drivers.

-DV
Old 14 May 2003, 02:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Noooo

Buy a separate soundcard for about 20 quid, onboard sound hammers the processor (well most do), you lose 15% on framerates by using the onboard chip, that why Time/Tiny and the like are cheap they use dodges like on board sound and video (another turkey)

I suppose it depends if you are going to play games on it !
Old 14 May 2003, 04:18 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

thanks jacko have done just that was in local computer discount place buying dvdr discs and thought what the **** and bought a new 5.1 card for 29 quid.
i dont have the drivers for the mother board (long boring story)

thanks also Daz and Darren I have upgrades for windows millenium and xp was trying to avoid xp for a while but i am using the machine to edit huge 4 gig video files and i have been told that the nts file system will handle them much better than fat32