Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Counterstrike questions

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2003, 03:05 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello,

Ive seen a lot of talk on here about this game. If you want to play this, do you have to buy "Half Life" then download some sort of "patch" to turn it into "Counterstrike"?

I know its probably a stupid question but I cant work it out. Ive tried searching the net and found loads of sites but just want confirmation. Basically if I want to get into it, what do I need to buy from the local PC shop? "Half Life" or "Counterstrike"? Is "Counterstrike:Condition Zero" something else again?

To play on line do you have to join a "club" or just log onto a certain website?

Also, having never owned a PC before now (only PS2 etc), what type of controllers do you use for games or do you stick with the keyboard?

Cheers

Old 24 March 2003, 03:25 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

To start of you need to get a copy of Half-life, www.play.com were selling it for 6.99 inc delivery. then you need to download counterstrike from www.counter-strike.net. then your ready to play. take a look at www.cshq.co.uk/bbs thats where a few ppl from here hang about log onto the bbs and get asking questions, we also have our own public and private servers.

Top game but very addictive.

David aka .:XSTi:Merlin:.
Old 24 March 2003, 03:26 PM
DavidHill
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add you play using keyboard and mouse...
Old 24 March 2003, 04:13 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

What happened to the last thread??
Old 25 March 2003, 07:34 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

there are 2 versions of Counterstrike (CS)

the Mod one - which requires you to buy Half Life and then download the complete update for CS from various places on the net (also need to download some updates for Half-Life itself.

or

the Retail one - which can be bought in shops as a standalone product (ie it does NOT require Half Life). This still needs some updating from the net as they regularly update CS with new maps / anti cheat sofware / code tweaks etc etc etc I think the retail version of CS comes aas part of the Half Life Generations software package ??

i hope you've got a decent connection to the net cos CS on a 56k modem is not gr8 these days and some of the updates are quite large !

once you've installed it etc then just a case of getting online and searching around for servers.......use a tool like gamespy which will let you easily search for servers and then store them for future use.

as david says come along to www.cshq.co.uk/bbs where you'll find us CS nuts

forgot to say Condition Zero is different and nt yet even released. gonna be a single player version currently in development as i understand it........seen very little about it apart from it seems to slip its releae date quite often !

[Edited by Steve Perriam - 3/25/2003 7:37:56 AM]