Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Broadband and multiple users with Windows XP

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2003, 11:36 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello

Can someone please help. Ive just got a new PC with Windows XP Proffesional. Ive got a couple of logins set up for different users with me as the administrator. Ive installed BT broadband but you can only access this when logged on as the administrator (me). No other account can access the internet although the broadband icon is visible on the desktop. Ive tried creating another account with administrator status but even this doesnt allow access.

Please help. I am a computer disaster.

Old 20 March 2003, 10:56 AM
gallagher120
Scooby Regular

OK TAKE ALL UR USERS OFF THE COMPUTER SO WHEN THE COMPUTER STARTS THERE IS NO NEED TO LOG ON.. YEP... THEN INSTALL BROADBAND AGAIN AND THEN CREATE USERS FROM HERE! AND YOU SHOULD BE OK.

I LEARNED THIS WITH WINDOWS 98 AND ME, WHEN YOU INSTALL OFFICE 2000 FOR EXAMPLE YOU CAN ONLY RUN THE APPLICATION FROM THE USER YOU INSTALLED IT IN TO PREVENT OTHERS FROM GAINING ACCESS TO YOUR FILES AND FOLDERS, SO GET RID OF THE USERS INSTALL YOU BROADBAND SOFTWARE AND THEN CREATE USERS AND ALL THE SETINGS SHOULD BE COPIED ACCRSS, HOPE THIS WAS SOME HELP, IF YOU REQUIRE ANY FURTHER ASSISTANCE SEND ME AN E-MAIL I MNIGHT KNOW SOMEONE THAT CAN GEP YOU.

CHEERS,

ADAM
Old 20 March 2003, 11:14 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

When you installed the BT software, it should have asked you whether you wanted the installation available to just you or all users.
Old 20 March 2003, 11:42 AM
ChrisB

I LEARNED THIS WITH WINDOWS 98 AND ME,
Only an issue if you have user profiles enabled.
Old 20 March 2003, 01:11 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hello

Thanks for the replies. Im probably wrong but I thought you have to have one registered user as "administrator"? I can delete all other users apart from myself. It tells me you have to assign another user as an administer before I can delete my adminstrator account.

Therefore, I cant delete all the accounts so it is impossible to turn on the computer without logging on?

When I set up the broadband It did not ask if I wanted it available to all users. In fact it didnt give me any options?

I looked at the broadband settings when logged on as a "limited user" and "guest" accounts. It would let me install the broadband if I knew an administrator name/password, which I obviously
do. I dont know what I am doing so at this point went no further for fear of knackering the computer. If I let it install would this mean, for example, if there were four non-administrative accounts active I would have to seperately load broadband four times? this seems like a waste of hard drive space and a long winded way of doing things.

Thanks for your help. Please bear in mind I am a computer neanderthal so if Ive mis understood something you've said please explain again

Thanks again

[Edited by ernie - 20/03/2003 13:14:04]
Old 20 March 2003, 07:15 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

How come ppl can give decent advice and yet not use the caps lock key? *rolls his eyes at n00bs who types in CAPS AS ITS VERY ANNOYING!!*
Old 20 March 2003, 07:53 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hello again

Alright, I tried installing the broadband in a guest/user account by putting in my (administator) name/password when prompted. However, it wouldnt allow the installation to complete.

I then uninstalled the BT broadband. Then I logged on as me and re-installed it from scratch, looking for an option to make it available to all users. No option was available.

Please can someone help? I need this so as to provide security/privacy between users.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Old 21 March 2003, 12:29 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Old 21 March 2003, 09:20 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

I'm a little confused on what you actually installed, and what you are trying to achieve here. Unless I'm mistaken, the CD supplied by BT contains the drivers and settings to use the ADSL modem to connect to the internet. This should be a one time installation on the machine.

If I interpret what you are saying correctly, you can access the internet via the ADSL line, but other users on the PC cannot? If this is the case, try going to the control panel, open Network Connections and you should see an icon for your ADSL connection (there may possibly be other icons, make sure you choose the one for the ADSL connection) double click this icon and it will bring up the connection box showing your username, space for you to change the password and just below this two radio buttons - the names should be self-explanatory.

If this isn't what you meant, please try to be a little more specific with the details of what happens when other users try to connect (content of any errors, messages etc. - please give the exact messages, it is so frustrating when people ask for help and say "I got an error message saying connection failed (Ithink), I didn't know what it meant so I just clicked cancel")

Cheers

[Edited by Fig - 3/21/2003 9:39:48 AM]
Old 21 March 2003, 10:30 AM
P80SJW
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had a simular problem with my small home network. In the end I got rid of the stupid frog modem and bought a cheap router from solwise. One benefit being that it is the router that performs the authentication with BT and not the PC so in theory you could have multiple people using the same ADSL connection.

Cheers Si
Old 21 March 2003, 11:22 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

That's OK if you want to connect more than one PC, but I think Ernie is simply (?) trying to allow all users on one PC to use the internet
Old 21 March 2003, 11:34 AM
P80SJW
Scooby Regular

Fair enough comment I was only trying to demonstrate that if you take the BTopenworld account verification away from the puter ie use a router it doesnt matter who logs into the pc it will still connect.

Cheers Si.
Old 21 March 2003, 12:31 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Fig, im not getting a connection between me pooters, i got an icon but it dont do nuffin when clicking on it

Wots up wiv it
Old 21 March 2003, 12:49 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Stef,

Assuming you've never done this before:

1. Remove the covers from both PCs
2. Get a pair of heavy duty jump-leads, connect the RED lead to the CPU on the first machine, and the BLACK lead to the CPU on the other machine.
3. Connect the free end of both leads to a 2,000,000 Volt AC supply with a minimum continuous current of 1 trogabillion amps
4. Put fingers in ears, protect eyes
5. Switch current on - data will flow from CPU with the RED cable connected, to CPU with black cable connected.
6. Trust me, it works (Works best on someone elses machine)

Disclaimer, Do not try this at home/work/anywhere else.
Old 21 March 2003, 01:26 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi

Fig, you are right in your assumption of what I am trying to do. I, as the administrator, CAN access the internet. "guests" and "limited users" cannot. When they click on the Internet Explorer icon or the BT Broadband icon they get a message saying "Page cannot be displayed " and "cannot find server or DNS error."

Ive just done what you suggested and went to the control panel, Network Connections, Bt Broadband. By clicking "properties" then "advanced" I am presented with some boxes to check/uncheck. Under "Internet Connection Sharing", there are three boxes to select from:

1 Allow other Network users to connect through this computers network connection

2 Establish a dial up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the internet

3 Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection

The first one was unchecked, so I selected it. It then comes up with a message saying:

"The user name and password for this connection were not saved for use by all users. As a result, internet connection sharing can only dial this connection when you are logged on. To enable automatic dialling, save your username and password for all users in the Connect dialog."

Numbers 2 and 3 were already ticked. It looks like I may be half way there. However I dont know where the "Connect dialog" is or what to do there if its not self explanatory when I find it.

Please can you help me as this is so frustrating

Thanks again for all your help

Much appreciated

Old 21 March 2003, 01:36 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've been hunting around and under "network settings", "BT Broadband", "properties", "advanced", "settings" I get a list of services. It says:

"Select the services running on your network
that internet users can access"

The list is:

FTP server
Internet Mail Access Protocol Version 3 (IMAP3)
Internet Mail Access Protocol Version 4 (IMAP4)
Internet Mail Server (SMTP)
Post Office Protocol Version 3 (POP3)
Remote Desktop
Secure Web Server (HTTPS)
Telnet Server
Web Server (HTTP)

None of these are ticked. Is this correct? Is this part of the problem?

Cheers
Old 21 March 2003, 02:28 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Numbers 2 and 3 were already ticked. It looks like I may be half way there. However I dont know where the "Connect dialog" is or what to do there if its not self explanatory when I find it.
When you went to Network Connections > BT Broadband, BEFORE clicking Properties, it should have looked similar to this

Old 21 March 2003, 03:16 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Fig, I cant see the picture you posted. All I get is small square with a red cross in the middle. Some of the other pictures on scoobynet appear like this. I dont know why?

Can you describe what I should see?

Thanks
Old 21 March 2003, 03:36 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Go to Networtk Settings, click BT Broadband. DO NOT click any other buttons.

Box should have picture of 2 PCs with the world in the middle. Below this are boxes with your username and password (password field will say "[To change the saved password, click here]"

Below this should be a tick box "Save this username and password for the following users" make sure this is ticked.

Below that are two radio buttons, "Me Only" and "Anyone who uses this computer" (the dot should be next to this if not, click the circle. If the password box is now blank, retype your password. Then click the dial button to check you can still connect.

Disconnect, log off then back on as a different user. Open internet explorer and see if they can now connect. If not, within IE click Tools > Internet Options and select the connections tab. In the box "Dial Up and Vitual Private Network Connections, you should see an icon for BT Broadban. If it is not the only one, make sure it says (Default) next to it, and if not highlight it and click "Set Default". There are 3 radio buttons just below this, make sure "Always dial my default connection" has the dot next to it.

Now close IE re-open it and see if you can connect. Assuming this is successful (and it should be) then log off, log on as each additional user and check/make the same changes.

Old 21 March 2003, 03:38 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

By the way, the "Allow other network users to use this connection" option that you ticked should be left unticked unless you have two (or more) separate PCs sharing the internet connection. It does not affect different users on the same PC.
Old 21 March 2003, 03:39 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

...Because I'm a Muppet really and can't resist
Old 21 March 2003, 03:55 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Fig

Where is "network settings"? Is it the same as going to "control panel" then "network connections"? If I do that I get "BT Broadband" under "Dial up" heading, and below that "1394"connection" and "Local Area Connection" under "LAN or high speed internet" heading.

When I left click the BT Broadband it comes up with a box titled "BT Broadband Status". There is NOT two PCs with the world in the middle. It shows details of connection (duration etc) and activity (bytes sent/received).

From this I can disconnect or go into properties which has other sub menus.

Thankyou for your continued help
Old 21 March 2003, 03:59 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Sorry, meant Network Connections. When you see the BT Broadband icon, click (or maybe double click) with the LEFT button to open the Connection Dialog
Old 21 March 2003, 04:07 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Thats what I've done but I dont get the box with 2 PCs and the world. I get what Ive posted above. What are "radio buttons"? What am I doing wrong? I dont get the box you say I should?

Just to confirm that this is XP Professional.

Thanks for your help
Old 21 March 2003, 04:14 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Do you use MSN Messenger?

If so add me (ha ha, you lot think I'm leaving my addy there are mistaken) - and should be able to sort this quite quickly

[Edited by Fig - 3/21/2003 4:59:59 PM]
Old 21 March 2003, 04:16 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Fig

If I disconnect the internet connection then click on BT broadband I get the screen with 2 PCs and the world. They are in a box titled "connect BT broadband."

I can click on "dial", "properties", "cancel", or "help".

There is also a box prefixed "dial" with a short number in it. It has an arrow at the end, when you click it it drops down but just has the original number in it.

Thanks
Old 21 March 2003, 04:17 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

That's the box I was referring to - didn't realise you were connected (D'oh)

Now you should see the options I cited above.
Old 21 March 2003, 04:18 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Fig, I've seen MSN Messenger on here somewhere but I dont know what it is or what it does. I know I must sound like like a total retard but I just dont know enough about computers.

Thanks for your patience
Old 21 March 2003, 04:25 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Lets try something else then. click here and log into scoobynet chat.
Old 21 March 2003, 04:25 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Fig,

All I get is this:

If I disconnect the internet connection then click on BT broadband I get the screen with 2 PCs and the world. They are in a box titled "connect BT broadband."

I can click on "dial", "properties", "cancel", or "help".

There is also a box prefixed "dial" with a short number in it. It has an arrow at the end, when you click it it drops down but just has the original number in it.

I cant see any boxes with username/password. Where are they please

Thanks

Quick Reply: BT Broadband and multiple users with Windows XP