Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

floppy disk controller

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2003, 03:16 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think I have a dodgy floppy disk controller and am preparing to change the motherboard but before I resort to this does anyone know of another solution ?

I remember the old PCs used to have the controllers on cards, are these still available from somewhere ?

Thanks

Ken
Old 19 March 2003, 03:49 PM
st
Scooby Regular

Whats up with it? have u tried another drive?
Old 19 March 2003, 03:49 PM
zipzapuk
Scooby Newbie

Hi , when I get bust floppy controller onboard I just fit an old isa i/o card with the floppy connector on it and this sorts it.If you need one I might have a few kicking around at work if this helps

PS check if you have the older isa slot on your board or see if you can buy a pci floppy controller card

Old 19 March 2003, 04:38 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Problem is when you insert a disk and try to access it a message comes up saying please insert a disk. I tried a new floppy drive and get a message saying the disk is not formatted do you want to format it now yes or no.

I have tried booting from a system disk and this does not work, hence me thinking it was more of a controller issue than a driver. I have had this once before and replacement motherboard cured it, floppy drive itself was working fine afterwards.

The motherboard is a gigabyte GA7ZXE and does not have an ISA slot, only PCI, and I have been unable to locate a PCI based controller, but thanks for the offer of the ISA card.

I could get a USB floppy drive I suppose, but there's not a lot of difference in the price between that and a new motherboard, although there would be less work involved.

Thanks

Ken