Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Norton Firewall..Picture viewing

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2003, 08:50 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
After my computer being devoured by a trojan i've now got Norton firewall on my new clean system.

Trouble is I can't see pictures which have been uploaded to scoobynet from turbosport.co.uk

I done a search and saw info on how to change the firewall but the instructions don't relate to my firewall (perhaps a newer version?)

I've put turbosport and scoobynet in the web content part of the firewall options, but don't know what settings to put, should cookies be enabled/disabled?, java?, activeX controls?, don't know what they mean.

Any help would be handy
Old 14 March 2003, 08:55 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Go into Privacy Control, custom, turn off browser privacy

I think that's what you need to do

Give it a go...
Old 14 March 2003, 09:05 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks mate, it worked, cheers for the help
Old 22 March 2003, 12:12 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Question

Ive just followed the instructions in this post and I can now see previously unviewable pictures.

Could someone please explain in laymans terms to a computer illiterate spaz what it means? Norton suggests that by changing this option, private info such as credit card numbers and email addresses will leak out onto the internet. Surely this is a bad thing?

Why are only SOME pics unviewable without changing this setting?

Cheers
Old 22 March 2003, 04:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

ernie,

the "unviewable" pictures are probably the ones on Turbosport, which is used by many Scoobynet members to show pictures for posting.

When you access a web-site, your browser (Internet Explorer etc.) sends various information to the site without you knowing. Things such as your screen resolution, browser version, and what web-site you are coming from - which is known as the Referrer.

Thus if you went from mitsubishi.com to subaru.com, the latter would know a bit about your browsing habits!!!

For privacy, firewalls can (and usually do) block this information from being sent. Kinda makes sense, as you don't want Scoobynet knowing that you were just browsing page3lovelies.com

However, Turbosport wants to make sure that pictures being stored are only ones relating to Scoobies, so it checks the Referrer to make sure that it is ScoobyNet - and if not, it doesn't show the picture. If your firewall blocks the Referrer information, then it can't tell that the picture is referenced via ScoobyNet, so it displays the red-cross box instead.

Thus, to display the Turbosport pictures, you need to enable the Referrer (part of the privacy controls) to that web-site ONLY.

I think that i have now confused myself though

mb
Old 22 March 2003, 04:58 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Cheers boomer

I've clicked on the Norton icon and looked through its options. However, I cant work out how you enable the "Referrer" for just Turbosport. The only way I've found is just to untick the "enable privacy" box under "privacy control" but I dont think that is very secure as its obviously non specific? I've left it ticked at the moment because from what youve said its a bit dodgy being non specific? I cant find anything called the "referrer" in the Norton menus?

How do you make it specific please?

Thanks again
Old 22 March 2003, 05:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

After clicking the Norton icon, is there an "Options" menu item?

If so, go into Personal Firewall, then into the Advanced Options button. On my (old) version, there is a "Web" tab where you can choose Referrer, Cookie and other settings for individual sites.

Try Norton Help to see where you can set up individual settings for named sites!

mb
Old 22 March 2003, 05:42 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Cheers boomer!

Found the menu like you said. I'll read through the help section and try and decipher it. I'll give it ago tomorrow. Hopefully I wont wreck my computer. I am the Frank Spencer of the computer world.

Thanks!
Old 24 March 2003, 01:55 PM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hello

On the off chance that anyone else has the same problem, I found this web site which is excellent for giving step by step instructions on configuring Nortons:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2000031311301136?open

Cheers

Old 24 March 2003, 06:13 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

ernie,

excellent URL thanks

clicky

mb