Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Personal firewall for home network?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2003, 03:33 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have (at last!) convinced my two PCs to both talk to each other and all is well with personal Zonealarm on the host machine. Internet explorer (NTL broadband)only works on the second machine if I turn Zonealarm (free version) off. I've messed with all its setting (including setting the second machine up as trusted etc) but it's not playing.

Anyone recommend which firewall which would solve the problem?

cheers
Gordon
Old 12 March 2003, 03:39 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I know it doesn't help much, but I've got 2 pcs and a laptop at home using zone alarm (free version), and 1 pc using zone alarm pro. Not had any problems at all with any of them accessing the net.

What operating systems are you using and how are they connected. Directly to a router or via internet connection sharing?

Iain
Old 12 March 2003, 03:42 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

XP home on both (newly installed), connected via two Realtek ethernet cards and a hub. Zonealarm lets you distinguish between 'internet' and 'trusted' connections so I have the Realtek card identified as trusted and the separate USB card for the internet.

Internet Connection Sharing was causing more problems than it was worth so I manually set the host and allow the second machine to automatically find the IP address. Should I manually set the second as well and/or identify the hub address as the gateway?
Old 12 March 2003, 03:51 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not sure what to suggest. I have all of my machines are connected directly to the router, told them all to obtain an address automatically, and it works for me.

It might help to add the hub address to the trusted domain (it can't hurt). Also I seem to remember there is a setting to tell zone alarm that the machine it part of an ics network. Might be worth trying that anyway even though you've done it manually, because I suspect they'd need similar settings....

Iain
Old 12 March 2003, 03:53 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

cheers - much to the other half's bemusement at how long I spend messing with them, I shall keep trying!
Old 12 March 2003, 03:55 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a quickie....have you got the security level set to medium for local networks on ZA(free)? Caused me grief when I had it on high as it blocks all LAN traffic hence stopping you talking properly.
Old 12 March 2003, 03:59 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Good luck
Old 12 March 2003, 04:07 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Hanslow - I set it to its lowest level for 'trusted' (assigning the LAN card to trusted) and have tried the internet setting on both high and medium before setting it back to high again.

Is there a separate LAN setting I've missed?

G
Old 12 March 2003, 04:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Doesn't sound like it. Just wanted to make sure you weren't suffering the same way I did for a bit.

Poop