Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sort out my MP3 collection!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2003, 08:06 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Guys,

I've loads of unnamed and untagged music in my collection. What I'd like is a shareware/freeware/cheap piece of software that can go through all the files, 'read' the music (the actual soundwave or whatever) and go out and get the title/ID3 information from a database or the internet. Basically, kinda like a CDDB lookup but for MP3 files instead.

Can anyone recommend anything? I've looked at Dr.Tag but that assumes you know either the filename or ID3 tag first.

Ta muchly.

Simon.
Old 22 February 2003, 07:48 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

You will only be able to do this if your mp3's have been submitted to the CDDB (argh, let me edit that - the actual albums/songs). MusicMatch will do all you requested.

I also use a cool bit of software called FlashRenamer (look it up) to rename all my files to get rid of caps, spaces, underscores etc ---- not essential but good housekeeping

[Edited by Soulgirl - 2/22/2003 7:50:15 PM]
Old 22 February 2003, 09:56 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Winamp will allow you to change the tag info on mp3s aswell, when it is in the playlist just right click on it and then select the file info or whatever it is called, sorry can't remember.
Old 22 February 2003, 10:01 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Not sure he just wanted to change it, as to get the correct tags
Old 23 February 2003, 12:14 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Bit late in the day now but I'll look into your suggestions when I get back from work tomorrow.

'night!

Simon.
Old 23 February 2003, 11:25 AM
ChrisB

If the file is un-named AND un-tagged, I think you're a little bit stuffed. Given the size of an MP3 can vary from rip to rip, I can't see how a central DB could ID the file without an ID3 tag.

You could edit the filename in Explorer and then use Dr Tag or similar to build the ID3 tag.

Oh, link to FlashRenamer that SoulGirl mentioned
Old 23 February 2003, 06:23 PM
breezer
Scooby Regular

I'd not heard of FlashRenamer before, but when my directory sectors from my HD got messed up a few years ago (don't ask, long story) I recovered most of the mp3s but named things like "data1" so I found a tool called mp3ext that could do the same sort of thing. It provided an extension to explorer so that you could do right click -> properties on an mp3 file (or Alt+Enter) and see it's id3 tag and details like length, no. frames etc., then options to run stuff on the file (and it worked for multiple selected files too) and re-set id3 tags, or do whatever you wanted to the file. Was pretty neat so I wrote a one line batch file to fix all my mp3s and rename them exactly how I wanted.

Dunno if the s/w is still kept up to date or exists anywhere, I think (??) I have an install of it if you're interested (mail me).
Old 24 February 2003, 03:11 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

MP3 ext here http://www.mutschler.de/mp3ext/
I used a thing called MP3rename but this looks easier

Joolz