Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

USB, USB2 and USB networking

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 11:06 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK Gurus,
I have an oldish P3 desktop with Win2k, a new laptop with XP, a digital camera, a scanner and a printer. Can I hook these all together using USB. Can I make the peripherals available to both computers and can I network the PC's using USB. I also have firewire ports on both PC's and a digital video camera. Assuming that firewire is faster than USB, can I network through the firewire and if so can someone call round with all the appropriate bits and set it up - there's a beer in it..... Cheers.

BTW - both PC's have 10/100 NICs so would a crossover cable be the best option for networking?
Old 04 February 2003, 11:59 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

if both PC got NIC, then you can use a crossover cable. just set both PCs protocol to netbeui (easiest way) and share the HDD.

for usb connection, you will have to get a laplink-type usb to usb cable.
Old 04 February 2003, 12:11 PM
ChrisB

Yes, you can bind an IP stack to firewire ports and get an uber quick (480Mbps IIRC) connection. Never tried it though, so no idea if it's easy or not.

Sharing devices:

Printer - Yes. Assuming you have the workstations talking to each other, just right click the printer on the PC it's connected to and Share it out. Obviously requires that PC to be switched on for the 2nd PC to print though.

HP do a JetDirect 175x Print Server which would allow independant printing.

Alternatively, try one of these from Belkin. Would need three though, one for each drive if you didn't want to swap.

HTH,

Chris.