Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

file numbering standards

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2003, 02:10 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Anyone got a generic document detailing a method of how to handle new versions of documents / programs

file naming conventions eg 28012003projectScooby
storage protocols C:\development\current....\old etc etc

I just need a basic outline of a method of handling new versions that I can adapt to fit

;D
Old 28 January 2003, 02:30 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a version control system (like CVS or similar) and let it handle everything for you. If you're just inventing names to save files as then it wont make any difference what you use since you STILL wont have any idea what's what

Steve.
Old 28 January 2003, 03:36 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have inherited the mother of all pigs ears here !

There are multiple directories off the C: drive that relate to multiple main projects ( more than 1 tree per project in all cases). In addition to this there are also multiple directories on a network server relating to the same projects and it appears that someone may have tried to implement CVS early last year judging by the appearance of CVS_Repository directories.

I am sorely tempted to back the lot up to CD delete the lot and start again with a simple premise of - If it's on the Laptop hard drive it is development work only and the Network is for storing the currently issued version - full stop. All old versions can be stored on CD.

Tearing what little hair is left out of head !
Old 28 January 2003, 03:40 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may well be better off. You could just take the latest, working version and import that into a new repository, if anyone wants to use code from other branches let them create their own branch within CVS and import any code they like into it. At least you get a working copy, in CVS, and you can hopefully push all the **** to the users