Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Exchange server-email set up

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 01:46 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

& if you can't manage SMTP, I know all about setting up Exch2000 to collect mail from POP3 boxes & distribute it

Keep the ISA on a separate box from Exch & use two NICs per box one aimed at the local n/work & one at the router/firewall.

[Edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! - 12/3/2002 1:47:22 PM]
Old 03 December 2002, 12:54 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Could anyone give me some basic instructions for setting up a mail server? (or point me to somewhere on the internet??) I'm using Win2k server + exchange server + ISA server. PC clients will all use Win98/Outlook/I.E

I'd like to set up a system where there are up to 10 different users who could email each other and receive mail from an internet domain name setup, passing via an email scanner on the server. there is also a router in the system to connect to the outside world.

Ta

Tony
Old 03 December 2002, 01:41 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Create your win2k domain as yourcompany.com , this will then enable your exchange server to be servername.yourcompany.com
Old 03 December 2002, 01:42 PM
Ducati 996
Scooby Regular

Tony I'd guess you have the 10 accounts created within exchange, and they can all mail each other without any problems, I'd be tempted to setup mailbox limits etc, as before you know it your IS will grow ridiculously, I've not done much with exchange and internet mail, but I'd think you're going to need your IMC pointing to your ISP, with POP3/Internet mail connector configured to begin with.
Old 03 December 2002, 01:43 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get your ISP to route mail to you as SMTP , create exchange connection to ISP .
Old 03 December 2002, 01:44 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ISASERVER create mail publishing rule to send and receive SMTP (ip port 25, i think) from ISP to exchange server .
Old 03 December 2002, 01:44 PM
monkeyboy
Scooby Regular

Mate

Its very easy - Try this as a starting point

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/guide/deploy/d_04_tt1.asp

Any probs give me a shout

M

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2002, 01:53 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

a few urls

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ide/planhl.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...t/howtogde.asp

http://www.isaserver.org
Old 03 December 2002, 01:58 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gulp

I think I'm going to have to research this a bit more..then translate all the answers you guys have given me...

I've just learnt how to set up a server + clients, which seemed pretty straight forward and works no probs with diff users/permissions e.t.c. but this looks like a quantum leap forward, ability wise.

As I've said before in a thread, I'm an ICT gov at a primary school. The last 5 yrs so-called professional IT people have set up and fiddled with the school network, and it never works...hence I've built a test bed + client at home and intend reformatting and rebuilding 25 PC's + server at school in just over a weeks time.

I'm confident I can set up the basic network system but am now not so confident about setting up an email exchange...

We have never had an email system at school, only the basics (that didn't work)!

Monkeyboy and PTMW! if I could mail you with further Q's once I've checked out the link and had a dabble on the PC's over the next 2 nights, that would be excellent.

Ta very much

Tony
Old 03 December 2002, 02:00 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

1. Install win2000 & SP3, Call the domain what you want, if you like call it yourdomain.local but never .com,co.uk etc...
2. Install exchange 2000, make sure you have smtp & NNTP services installed, you can do this from add/remove windows components under IIS.
3. Service Pack Exchange to SP3.
4. Go to exchange system manager drill down the protocols from the server and select default smtp virtual server, right click add assign private NIC IP to it.
5.Go back to system manager top level and select recipient polices, select default policy properties and the email tab.
6. click new and select smtp type here your actual domain name, eg. @yourdomain.co.uk. set as primary and apply.
7. Call your ISP to set a MX record to point to your IP, set a port 25 forwarding rule on your router or firewall to point to private lan address.
8.Connect clients outlook, and happy emailing.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Old 03 December 2002, 02:14 PM
DRUNKNORGY
Scooby Regular

I looked at the MS Exchange server option when I set up the Email system for my company, but the license costs were prohibitive.
I opted in the end for 'Vpop3' mailserver software. A fraction of the cost of MS and does the same job www.vpop3.co.uk. The vsock which is a free download as well works as a router offering all the PC's on the LAN to surf as well off this connection and offers basic firewall capabilities. It runs off TCP/IP and is resident on the PC I am typing this from. The dot.com arrangement can be had through a Domain & Email forwarding company for an annual fee if you want it to look professional.

Ash
Old 03 December 2002, 02:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Tony gets "Education" licence rates
Old 03 December 2002, 02:25 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

if you can't manage SMTP, I know all about setting up Exch2000 to collect mail from POP3 boxes & distribute it
Oh really Puff
Old 03 December 2002, 02:26 PM
ChrisB

1. Install win2000 & SP3, Call the domain what you want, if you like call it yourdomain.local but never .com,co.uk etc...
Any particular reason for doing the .local?
Old 03 December 2002, 02:37 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

yes, the main reason for setting the domain name to .local is that if you ever tried browsing to your home page from the private LAN it will send all your packets to email server and give you a DNS error or if you have IIS running it will dump the IIS home page.

You can get around this by using certain firewalls or routers and setting up routing tables to redirect the packet.

If you are going to host your server to the web in DMZ then only do it but then again theres several ways to do this.

From what I can see the router in question seems it will not have this capability. Its a pain when it happens.

Old 03 December 2002, 02:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Ian

Well I do now! My system is working very well now thank you very much, collecting & distributing all the mail from various POP3 boxes at regular intevals.

Old 03 December 2002, 02:44 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blimey !

I've got a head ache reading all this..

I'll try the procedure that Rayman typed out tonight and see how I get on.

I can see this taking a while!
Old 03 December 2002, 02:48 PM
ChrisB

Strange, but each to their own Rayman.

I've setup a whole wedge of Win 2000 + Exchange 2000 environments and we always use the full domain name. Just add extra records into the DNS on the W2000 box and all is fine. No issues.
Old 03 December 2002, 03:01 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris we been setting them this way for some time, there is numerous ways to do it like yours.

We have alot of customers such as MOD, "Stock Exchange" etc... they prefer to have all rules dictated and controlled by firewalls. We tend to find it easier to control rules,records via the firewall remotely. We just setup forwarders on 2000 DNS servers to point to the firewall for security. These people don't like people internally changing records.

Old 03 December 2002, 04:38 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

.local is to stop win2k server pissing off people's proper UNIX DNS servers doing real DNS with transfer requests every second of their life
Old 03 December 2002, 05:14 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

hello andrewza, you a bind 8.1 person then
to be honest I'm not a DNS expert, but know it's the key to "life itself" apparantly, ask any pony-tailed, combat wearing, half-lifer..,.no offence to anyone who fits this category btw...just shunty playing.

shunty
Old 03 December 2002, 05:38 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

hey andrewza, you don't wear combats do you mate...I WAS only joking I shouldn't be having a pop as you helped me out a while ago.

shunty
Old 03 December 2002, 05:40 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always use .local for internal dns structures.
Old 04 December 2002, 10:36 PM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

This is a combats free zone