Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Opera web browser - any users?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2002, 05:37 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a really old slow PC (Pentium I 150MHz with 32Mb EDO RAM) so thought replacing Internet Explorer with Opera might speed my Internet up a little (like broadband ain't fast enough )
I have been to www.opera.com and downloaded version 6.4 English (UK) for Windows (I am running 95 ) but it will not browse - I have been through all the preferences and it just will not resolve sites

Is there something I have missed as IE 5.x is still working fine?

Cheers, Jon
Old 17 November 2002, 06:06 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry, it's Opera version 6.04 and I am sucessfully using IE version 5.0 (IE 6 don't work on Win95)

Yes, I have tried Opera's FAQ but with no joy...any suggestions/experiences?

Cheers, Jon
Old 17 November 2002, 06:22 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a muppet

Had logged PC on under a differnt profile...usual profile has Zone Alarm installed and this was stopping Opera from connecting.

Posting this using Opera, can't say it's any faster and looks pants comparted to IE...think I will stick to IE but may be of interest to peeps on slow dialup connections

Cheers, Jon
Old 17 November 2002, 10:11 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello Dave,

I have just sacked it off as it was giving me nothing but grief.

I uninstalled it through add/remove programs but it was still all over my PC so I have just finished screwing around with RegEdit some more. Mind you, that is probably why it never worked in the first place as I have been screwing RegEdit up for the last couple of weeks trying to get ride of Grand Theft Auto from Add/Remove Programs when it was uninstalled by me by deleting the files directly

Nevermind. I am going to fDisk the drive next weekend and do a fresh install of Win95 and put Opera back on and give it another try

Cheeers, Jon
Old 18 November 2002, 11:11 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only use Opera, I will never use IE of course, ever. Opera is faster than IE on my PIII 600, plus it has the added bonus of not being able to "catch" a virus from some web site, unlike IE. It has a lot of features over IE, the page zoom, mouse gestures, better pop-up handling, browser layout/configuration etc. If you have problems with Opera 6 (I did on an older Linux) then try 5, it's well worth it just so you don't have to use a Microsoft "product".

Steve.