Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Malicious phone calls

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2002, 02:44 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Stuck this in Non Scooby related but it's sort of computer related as well.

Okay,

It's been covered a few times but is there anyone in here who could maybe help with a solution that might be stretching the legal boundaries in our favour - e.g. devices or services that are maybe not quite legal in a similar way to radar detectors, not illegal to own but illegal to use (not that anyone in here would condone this)

We're on BT; we've had a couple of calls in the middle of the night, no talking and a withheld number.

Options as far as I’ve been made aware are,

1) Contact Police who in conjunction with BT will trace. – Maybe needs to be a persistent caller before they’d pursue this?
2) Bar all withheld numbers – tried this but doesn’t work because that also stops some work related calls coming from within mini exchanges (usually offices where a 9 is required for an outside call - like my work).
3) BT says we can choose to call bar the number being used by dialing 12458 after the next call (before using 1471).

Option 3 is probably best but we would like to know where this call is coming from, is there anything available that can trace calls like this or do BT have to set something up first before a trace will work.

Any thoughts/views ?

Thanks.
Old 04 November 2002, 02:58 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get to the "anonymouse callers barred" numbers by dialling #6199 instead of the "9" to get an outside line.

Works for us, anyway. so if it works for your office, then you can take option #2.
Old 04 November 2002, 03:25 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All companies should be encouraged to provide a number. I more and more often now dont answerd "Number withheld/unknown" calls.

I've found many of the Unknown callers which then hang-up are in fact Barclaycard using automated dialer for tele-marketing. Gave 'em a right bollicking last time they actually got through.

Deano