Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband info needed

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2002, 12:42 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just moved into a student house in Lancaster that doesn't have an internet connection. We have a BT phone line but that's not been activated as yet.

Having been spoilt by the uni's network speeds when I lived in halls last year, I've decided that broadband is the way to go - it could also prove to be the cheapest option if I can get three of us to pay for it.

What is the best way going about connecting three computers up to one broadband line?

What equipment will we need? (I was thinking of creating a wireless network)

And lastly, which broadband supplier should we go for? - we don't want to pay more than £30 per month (a tenner each) and we also don't want to have to sign a 12 month contract given that we're only at uni for 8 months of they year (it's hard being a student )

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy.
Old 02 November 2002, 12:51 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

goto www.adslguide.org.uk for adsl info.

you will need a adsl modem/router/4-port switch (all in one) to share your internet connection. have a look at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk for hardware and www.seg.co.uk for info on sharing your broadband.

not 100% sure about non 12 month contract, but check out www.plus.net, www.pipex.co.uk, www.nildram.co.uk and www.demon.net.