Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Compaq 3310 KVM woes!

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2002, 04:32 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Does anybody know the max cable length for PS2 connections into this KVM switch?

We have 7 devices plugged in, several NT servers & a couple of NEW IBM Netvista PC's acting as various monitoring PC's for our network.

When you switch from PC to PC the new IBM PC's lose their keyboard, and it doesnt come back until a reboot - all the other servers etc run fine! All are running NT4.

I have tried disabling the APM etc in the BIOS of the new PC's thinking maybe they were going into standby, swapped the KVM ports to unused ones, changed the cables, changed the keyboard & mouse etc but no joy.

This is really starting to rack me off now (sic!) as we only rebuilt all our racks last weekend with all this kit in them!

The cable runs are Std keyboard & mouse plus 2Mtr extenders into the I/O port on the KVM, then Compaq 3Mtr KVM cables - device to KVM.

Is this too long for the new PC'S???

Calling the power of Scoobynet..........HELP!!
Old 18 September 2002, 05:29 PM
bashful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing as no-one else is helping (yet)...

It may not be cable lengths. I know that you can't use 'cheap' (relative term) KVM switches with SGI O2s because, although they use standard PS2 keyboards, the interface chip talks to the keyboard in a way which is mystically different to the normal protocol. You have to spend about 2K to get a switch the O2 likes.

Obviously, this doesn't help you directly, I just wanted to suggest that you might want to look at fancy BIOS settings to do with the keyboard.

Good luck.