Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet connection speed, help

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 08:33 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me why my connection speed which for ages has been 28.8 has suddely gone up to 46.6? This coincides with a snotty e-mail from BT saying that if I do not use my connection for less time I will be cut off! They recon that I am using it for over 12 hours a day, and that is just b0ll0cks.
Old 28 August 2002, 12:11 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Might not mean anything, but 46.6k is about typical actual connection for someone with a 56k modem. A few years back, many service providers were limited to 28.8k as that was as fast as you could get, but can't believe anyone was that far behind the times. I assume you haven't changed settings on the machine?

Only thought about the 12 hours - is your PC on that length of time? Vaguely possible there's a modem glitch holding the line high.

Not much help, but best I can come up with.

Phil
Old 28 August 2002, 05:34 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

If you're on BT Anytime I can't see the problem, you've paid for Anytime. If you're on pay as you go I can't see the problem you're paying as you're going.

Sounds like they are talking rot.

Dave
Old 28 August 2002, 07:29 PM
naturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Only guess I have about the 12 hour thing is a problem our modem had in that it would not release the line having disconnected from the internet in Explorer (could tell, cos a phone shared the line). The only way to free the line was to unplug the modem from the wall socket (no bad thing, since we were using regular pay-per-minute services).
Old 29 August 2002, 12:10 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

This is a copy of the mail, has anyone else had similar? I'm on the free evenings and weekends tarrif.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: YOUR BTOPENWORLD ACCOUNT IS IN BREACH OF OUR TERMS & CONDITIONS

Dear Customer,

As part of our ongoing service improvements, we regularly review usage levels on our network.

YOUR ACCOUNT USAGE
In a recent review, we noticed that your account has been connected for long periods of time - typically 12 hours or more in a day. Your computer may also be automatically redialling to connect to your account in your absence.

Unfortunately, this type of usage breaches paragraph 10.3 of our Terms & Conditions. To review these, please go to http://www.btopenworld.com/helpnb/terms

We are sorry to say that if your account continues to be used in this way, we reserve the right to terminate your account without further notice.

USAGE TIPS
This email is to let you know about the breach and ask you to change your usage. We want to keep you as a customer and would like to help you avoid having idle open connections to the internet. So here are some useful tips, which should help you use the internet more effectively. We suggest you:
* review how often you check for email
* make sure you don't leave software running which is likely to keep your internet connection live unnecessarily (e.g. instant messaging software)
* don't set your email software to auto redial at regular intervals
* don't use other dialler 'keep alive' applications

CONSIDER PASSWORD CHANGE
It may be that your account is being used by people other than yourself. If you think this could be the case we strongly recommend that you change your password. To do this, please go to
http://www.btopenworld.com/mybtopenworld

CONSIDER 'ALWAYS ON' HIGH SPEED BROADBAND
If you'd like access to an 'always on' internet connection, you may wish to consider upgrading to high speed BTopenworld Broadband Plug & Go. This may better suit your needs. It's up to ten times faster than a standard modem and uses your existing BT line without affecting your voice calls. Once set up, there are no extra charges above the monthly rental fee. To find out more, and check if it's available in your area, please go to
http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband

PLEASE CHECK YOUR BTOPENWORLD EMAIL
Please note that all messages to you about this issue will be sent to this email address, the primary email address for your BTopenworld account. Please make sure you check this email account for updates.

HELP
If you have any questions about the above, please contact the BTopenworld team at http://www.btopenworld.com/helpnb Please quote reference ********* when replying.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

BTopenworld team
www.btopenworld.com
Old 29 August 2002, 12:46 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Qs?

Does your phone bill itemise (or even summarise) the free Internet usage?

Does the software that you connect with keep a log of times and durations that you are connected?

...could be evidence to tell BT where to stick their letter!!!

Don't you just hate companies that say "everything is free" and then moan and try to screw you for it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

mb
Old 29 August 2002, 12:55 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Hi Boomer,
I have replied to BT tonight to tell them to look at my phone bil which is itemised, so they will be able to see when I am on the internet.
Old 29 August 2002, 02:51 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

disconnect or switch off your modem when not in use.

The contract with these companies means that you can not leave it permanently (or nearly) connected especially when you are not doing anything. If your modem is not dropping the line they WILL disconnect you. This has been done to hundreds of people who werent logging off.

alternatively pay 23 quid a month and switch to something like ADSL www.pipex.com and you can be permanently online then and also enjoy a much faster connection.
Old 29 August 2002, 11:32 AM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

It just get better!!
Dear Mr Stock
Your reference number: *******

Thank you for your email regarding the unattended use of your BT Openworld account. The problem that has been identified on your account is persistent unattended use.

In order to minimize further delays we have sent the following information regarding your enquiry. We apologise that this is not an individual reply however the information contained should answer your concerns regarding any acceptable usage policies held within our Terms and Conditions.

BT Openworld regularly monitors the impact of unattended usage to ensure that network performance continues to improve as part off our network management programme. This measure has been implemented in order to ensure all our customers have an equal chance of first time connection.

We would like to clarify that the reason why your account has been highlighted in this manner is due to remaining connected to the Internet for extended periods e.g. periods exceeding 12 hours in any 24-hour period as stated in our Terms and Conditions. If you wish to view your Terms and Conditions then they are freely available to view on the BT Openworld homepage. A link to this section is included below for your convenience:

http://www.btopenworld.com/helpnb/terms

Unattended usage on your account has been identified by the amount of time you have remained connected via your BT Openworld Anytime or Surftime dial-up connection in any 24-hour period.

Unfortunately, the BT Openworld Anytime or Surftime are not intended to be 'always on' services. If you are using automatic reconnection software this will have the same effect as the service being 'always on'.

Our systems will highlight your account as such if your PC is configured to automatically redial after a connection is dropped, especially if after a 15-minute idle-disconnect, or if the reconnection occurs immediately.

We would also advise you to reconfigure your PC not to dial automatically, or to reconnect if the line is dropped. You may also want to consider either turning your computer off, or disconnecting your modem from the phone line during periods of inactivity. This will ensure that your account will not be highlighted for possible suspension again.

For further clarification of this matter please refer to section 10.3 of your BT Openworld Terms and Conditions. If you implement the use of software that automatically redials in your absence this may also result in your account becoming highlighted for unattended usage.

Providing your BT Openworld account is not continually used in this manner, your account should not be scheduled for termination.

If you feel your details may have been compromised then it is recommended that you change your password as advised in the warning email. It is advisable to do this regularly as someone may have your account details.

Port Scanning is an activity, which by using a particular type of software gives the user the ability to scan the computer system of another Internet user. The purpose of which can be obtaining passwords and usernames. It is recommended that you have firewall to prevent you from port scanning to make your details more secure in the future.

Regrettably the BT Openworld Offline Customer Services Team do not have access to the details regarding the unattended use of your BT Openworld account. If you still wish to view this information please contact the Data Subject Access Manager via the postal address below:

Data Subject Access Manager
Phoenix House
100 Great Northern Road
Derby
DE1 1NJ

Please be aware that you will be required to provide the following before any account information can be released:

* * * * *This is the best bit!* * * *

- A cheque for £10 made payable to "BT plc" (please note that cheques will not be receipted)
- Your primary email address for your BT Openworld account
- Your helpdesk phrase (usually a mothers maiden name)
- Any relevant reference numbers relating to this issue
- A cover letter outlining the exact information you require

To contact out Customer Service department write to:

BT Openworld Customer Services
P.O. BOX 163
Exeter
Devon
EX1 1BX

In order for us to address your enquiry more efficiently, please provide us with the following account details in your letter:

- Your primary email address for your BT Openworld account
- Your helpdesk phrase (usually a mothers maiden name)
- Any relevant reference numbers relating to this issue
- Any modem logs or evidence to support your appeal.

Once again, may I state that providing your BT Openworld account is not continually used in this manner, your account should not be scheduled for termination.

We trust this email has helped to clarify the situation, however, if we can help further please let us know.

If you require any further assistance, please try our new online help located at the below URL: http://www.btopenworld.com/helpnb/

Kind regards

Nicola Payne
Technical Advisor
BT Openworld Narrowband Support

BT Openworld Narrowband Billing: internet.billing@btopenworld.com BT Openworld Narrowband Support: helpdesk-support@btopenworld.com

Should you prefer to speak to the BT Openworld team directly you can contact us on: BT Openworld Narrowband Billing: 0870 241 4567 BT Openworld Narrowband Support: 0906 302 3456*

*Calls to the Technical Support Helpdesk are charged at 50 pence per minute from a BT line.

Old 29 August 2002, 12:31 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

If you're pissed about being held to Ts & Cs then read them before you buy. "anytime" doesn't mean "all-the-time" and never has done.

BT OpenWorld (your ISP) are a separate company to BT Retail (who provide your telephone line) therefore it would contravene the data protection act for Openworld to access your phone bills. If you beleive that the BT Group should use the fact it supplys your phone line and internet services to help you as a customer recieve a more integrated service I suggest you write to offtel (or offcom) and tell them . The regulator currently thinks this would be very very bad.

If you are convinced its not you making the calls, then change your password ASAP as they suggest.

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 8/29/2002 12:37:43 PM]
Old 29 August 2002, 01:12 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Steady on mate!
"If you're pissed about being held to Ts & Cs then read them before you buy. "anytime" doesn't mean "all-the-time" and never has done."
I am not pissed about being held to Ts & Cs and I know "anytime" doesn't mean "all-the-time" and never will do.
What I am pissed about is the fact that they are going to stop my internet connection because of missuse, when I havent missued it! My point was that I havent used anywhere near 12 hours a day. The dial up number I have will only work between 7pm and 7am so it would be impossible to do this.
In addition I was suggesting that I could provide them with the telephone bills.
Old 29 August 2002, 03:18 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Sorry. I manage a dial platform (private and not internet). We spend our entire life chasing problems due to user-abuse so I get a bit touchy

One or two commenst by others also seem to indicate they get upset when a service isnt what they wanted it to be.

The point about your number only being available for 12 hours anyway would seem fair and somewhat relevant (I had assumed you had anytime)

Deano
Old 29 August 2002, 05:25 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

What the hell is a dial platform?
Old 30 August 2002, 09:51 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

a platform into which people dial. i.e. the infrastructure that your PC dials up to get access to the Internet. Essentially some very large boxes that terminate thousands of calls and look after all the authentication etc then allow all the attached PCs to access the network.

Its always a balancing act between providing enough capacity to cope with peaks of usage and not having many thousands of pounds of hardware and lines not doing anything.

Just as an example we idenitfied a customer who has several PC permanently on one of the internet sports sites tickers ( the scrolling news type application) This had kept line us for 24 hours at a time. Blocking access to that one site reduced their usage to 9 til 5. The central customer pays on a minutes used basis so it all saves them a lot of money.

Deano
Old 30 August 2002, 04:25 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Going back to the original question....You may find the gain at your local exchange has been increased or the batteries replaced. This would certainly explain the jump in speed.

At least **** will arrive quicker now.
Old 30 August 2002, 05:15 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mmmmmm, porrrrrrn.
Old 30 August 2002, 05:20 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Actually, my company offers an Anytime that DOES mean all the time, but you pay for the privelage.

Luna