Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

i know this is in the wrong section, but................

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 04:54 PM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really need a quick answer to this.

its about sharing a broadband connection on a peer to peer network.

i have a client who has NTL broadband running on his computer. i'm goin there later to put another network card onto his machine and link it to another machine.

basically he wants the other machine to be able to access the internet and i was wondering what internet sharing options we have. cheers.

oh yeah, i've never used windows internal internet sharing facility, how does it work??
Old 26 June 2002, 04:59 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

What OS is he running? Fairly straight forward with Wink2k and WinXP. ICS is an option on each NIC and you should set it on the LAN NIC i.e. the one connecting to the hub/other pc's on the LAN
Old 26 June 2002, 05:00 PM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

win2k on one machine, i think its 98 on the other machine that doesn't have the broadband plugged directly into it.
Old 26 June 2002, 06:29 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

You need ICS on the PC connected to NTL but on the secondary NIC which u are using to connect to the client PC. You will need either a crossover CAT5 cable to link the two PC's nics or a hub in between them (more expensive but makes it easier to add more than one client machine)>
Old 26 June 2002, 07:03 PM
ChrisB

Too right! Home we go...
Old 27 June 2002, 08:39 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Adam,

I recommend you get a router (Netgear RP114 works well on NTL) and stick it between the CM and the PCs. Advantages here are no need for 2nd LAN card, and no need for main PC to be on for 2nd PC to access the net.

You will have to get the CM to accept the MAC address of the Router before it will work. Two ways to achieve this:

1. There is a setting on the router admin page to spoof the address of the originally connected PC. This makes the router masquerade as the 1st LAN card.

2. Unplug the CM from the power for about 4 hours so that it forgets the MAC address it is currently holding. Then reconnect with the router in place. CM will now pick up the MAC addressof the router quite happily,