Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Struggling with Samsung S8

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2017, 05:42 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Struggling with Samsung S8

I've just traded in my trusty s5 for the s8 and must say that I'm struggling to see it as a forward step.

1) Email. It seems to be different to the one on my s5 so I downloaded outlook as I use hotmail. However outlook doesn't give you a visible reminder that there are unread messages. On the s5 and number would appear next to the email icon to show you how many messages were unread.

2) The screen is less wide. I tend to write holding the phone in portrait mode. When I do this I'm making endless typos. And some words start to disappear around the curved screen, wtf is the point of a curved screen??
If I change to landscape the keyboard takes up 90% of the screen so I can't see what else I've written.

3) The predictive texting/autosuggestion on WhatsApp used to be excellent and now is pants, how has that happened??

This is the first time in years that I've bought the latest phone and am regretting it.
Old 08 August 2017, 07:13 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I've just traded in my trusty s5 for the s8 and must say that I'm struggling to see it as a forward step.

1) Email. It seems to be different to the one on my s5 so I downloaded outlook as I use hotmail. However outlook doesn't give you a visible reminder that there are unread messages. On the s5 and number would appear next to the email icon to show you how many messages were unread.

2) The screen is less wide. I tend to write holding the phone in portrait mode. When I do this I'm making endless typos. And some words start to disappear around the curved screen, wtf is the point of a curved screen??
If I change to landscape the keyboard takes up 90% of the screen so I can't see what else I've written.

3) The predictive texting/autosuggestion on WhatsApp used to be excellent and now is pants, how has that happened??

This is the first time in years that I've bought the latest phone and am regretting it.
I use Google keyboard not Samsung. Personally I don't have a problem with the curved edge either feel or reading anything near it. Maybe you should of got the S8+ with more screen area.
This is by far the best phone I've owned, again personal opinion
Old 09 August 2017, 12:02 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Bluemail for your email. It's one of the most popular and does give you the unread indicator
Old 15 August 2017, 09:44 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

The auto correct was reasonable on my S6 (apart from insisting on 'ducking' ), but after the latest OS update it's become totally unusable. It will guess completely random words that I have *never* typed anywhere on the phone, and when I delete the characters it guessed 'wrong' and type the right ones in it changes it AGAIN etc etc... The old predictive text used to understand that I didn't want to type the first word after I've changed away from it once, but the new one seems pants.

Perhaps it's possible to change the predictor somehow? It's android after all, so it should be possible to up/down/side-grade individual components.

Wish I'd stayed with iPhone, and I'll be switching back when my Samsung gives up the ghost.

Edit: Mentioned the S6 upgrade vs auto correct debacle, as I suspect your S8 will run roughly the same firmware as an updated S6.

Last edited by Henrik; 15 August 2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 16 August 2017, 11:52 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol really? S8 is on a different planet compared to the S5, performance increases alone and the screen is massively superior, surely you must have noticed and appreciated that. I used to have an S5 years ago and although it was decent enough at the time, its complete pants in comparison now. Curved screen is marmite, you either love or hate it, or get on with it or not. Personally I don't have an issue with it.

As mentioned don't use the standard Samsung kb its total junk, the most popular one by far is the Swift kb, which I use, the predictive element is far superior in it too, plus you can swipe out your words instead of typing individual letters, if that's your preference.

Same applies for your email client, Sammy one is pants, use bluemail as you need to use a Hotmail inbox.

For the unread counter, consider a different launcher like Nova, it will show unread counts for all of your apps and has tons of other customisations to play with.

Last edited by bioforger; 16 August 2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 16 August 2017, 12:19 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Perhaps it's possible to change the predictor somehow? It's android after all, so it should be possible to up/down/side-grade individual components.
Correct, if you get and use a better keyboard like Swift, you can retrain it to your typing style, grammar and spelling as a result the predictive suggestions are excellent, you can add words to those lists as well (such as common swear words ) it's spot on for me. I hardly ever have to correct the autocorrect