Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Microsoft server advice

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2017, 08:27 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microsoft server advice

Hi guys need some help

So tail end of last year I was made redundant. Over the last few months I've set up for myself and am having a issue with Windows server and a software program I need to use. Here is what the problem is

We buy and sell enterprise server equipment. A core part of the business is Processor trade, focusing on Intel xeon E5-2*** range as an example.

So when we buy a processor and we receive the item, we need to install it into a relevant model server in most occasions this will be a HP Prolaint DL380 generation 8 and a generation 9 server. Then run Intels own diagnostics tool as well as CPU-Z these both test to make sure they are not remarked processors or Engineering samples and are in working condition.

What I don't know so what version of windows server I need, I've been looking at windows server 2012 essentials and 2012 r2 essentials as these are cheaper as 2016 is out. Ideally like any business cash is king so if there is a free version that will do what we need then fantastic.

We don't need access to the Internet from the server as the software above will be installed to the hard drive. I need a windows desktop front end to launch the software from. Basically install the processor/s, power on server, boot to Windows desktop for server, run test software, power down, remove processor and start all over again.

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks Steve
Old 13 May 2017, 08:37 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why use windows to test the hardware? Why not a linux livedvd and run memtest etc from that?
Old 13 May 2017, 08:54 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Very good question, it was set up as above in the company I worked at. The tech guys set it up and we used it. Sorry that's not much of a helpful answer. I think it is due to CPU-Z needing windows to run
Old 13 May 2017, 09:08 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Doesn't HP intelligent provisioning give you what you need? specifically insight diagnostics?
Old 13 May 2017, 09:16 PM
Pross
Scooby Regular

What about creating your own livecd from windows and include whatever tools you like? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinBuilder
Old 13 May 2017, 10:14 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Doesn't HP intelligent provisioning give you what you need? specifically insight diagnostics?
Unfortunately not. There was an occasion when it was tested with this and an es was shipped out. We added in both the software mentioned on post 1 as a recommendation by the customer we supplied it to.
Old 13 May 2017, 10:15 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pross
What about creating your own livecd from windows and include whatever tools you like? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinBuilder
Thanks I'll take a look
Old 13 May 2017, 10:24 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pross
So I get the concept of making a boot cd or USB. How do you get the software installed on the USB so it's not a setup file.

Would I need to install the software (cpu-z) on my desk top then is it the case of drag and drop the programme files onto the USB stick

Sorry I'm a beginner at this, as mentioned above I had a tech guy who sorted all this and although it wasn't for the want to learn it was the lack of desire to teach
Old 14 May 2017, 12:00 AM
Pross
Scooby Regular

When you create the cd using winbuilder or similar, you can install custom software. So when you boot up the cd, the software is there already.. no need for usb..
Old 14 May 2017, 07:31 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Ok I thought I read it could be loaded onto a USB

Either way, as it stands I need of down load the test software. Once I've download it obviously to get it to work it needs to be installed by running the set up (which I am sure you know) do you know how you get that on the cd/USB. Is it a case of drag and drop or more complex than that

And thank you for all your help so far