Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

It is coming to an end at last

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2016, 10:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default It is coming to an end at last

Apple's second case against Samsung has been overturned on appeal. All of Apple's patents were declared invalid or Samsung didn't infringe. Perversely Apple did infringe Samsung patent so will have to pay the small sum awarded and potentially samsung s huge legal bill for the case.

Only one more case to be settled now and everyone can get back to normal
Old 27 February 2016, 11:58 AM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone can get back to normal? Are you serious?
Old 27 February 2016, 01:45 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't worry the lawyers will keep this going for years more yet.

Not relevant to patent law exactly, but Samsung and others totally copied Apples designs. Samsung even (needlessly) made a connector that looked exactly like the iPhone 4 one.

Google ripped off iOS to give the world Android, it was stealing / copying the ideas, but i don't mind as it's introduced more competition.
Old 27 February 2016, 02:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I cant tell you how relieved I am. Can get some sleep now without worrying.....
Old 27 February 2016, 03:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by matt-c
Don't worry the lawyers will keep this going for years more yet.

Not relevant to patent law exactly, but Samsung and others totally copied Apples designs. Samsung even (needlessly) made a connector that looked exactly like the iPhone 4 one.

Google ripped off iOS to give the world Android, it was stealing / copying the ideas, but i don't mind as it's introduced more competition.
Thank goodness for experienced judges
Old 27 February 2016, 03:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The case has ruined Samsung Mobile, look how dilated their market share is by others such as Huawei doing to them as they do to Apple.

Apple won't care, they've got bigger fish to fry in the supreme courts. The only people that care are people like Andyroid with a chip on their shoulder who pour hate whenever possible without noticing that they've become 'like' Apple.
Old 27 February 2016, 09:54 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

The case hasn't ruined samsung. Samsung ' s market share issues are to do with cheaper Chinese companies, the same goes for apple, their share is dropping aswell, due to other factors.

Re apple litigation, like I said years ago, are frivolous and without merit. It has taken quite some time for Samsung to battle through the USA courts to dismiss these law suits. The patents mostly in the first case have been invalidated, it's only the design elements which need attending to through the higher courts. Maybe a third case to review the original case will be needed.

Last edited by andy97; 28 February 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 27 February 2016, 10:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
The case has ruined Samsung Mobile, look how dilated their market share is by others such as Huawei doing to them as they do to Apple.

Apple won't care, they've got bigger fish to fry in the supreme courts. The only people that care are people like Andyroid with a chip on their shoulder who pour hate whenever possible without noticing that they've become 'like' Apple.
Way Crapple sales are going the may have to start to worry sooner rather than later
Old 28 February 2016, 09:01 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
The case hasn't ruined samsung. Samsung ' s market share issues are to do with cheaper Chinese companies, the same goes for apple, their share is dropping aswell, due to other factors.

Re apple litigation, like I said years ago, are frivolous and without merit. It has taken quite some time for Samsung to battle through the USA courts to dismiss these law suits. The patents mostly in the first case have been invalidated, it's only the design elements which need attending to through the higher courts. Maybe a third case to review the original case will be needed.
Exactly, cheap Chinese companies doing a Samsung and just copying. Even the massive marketing campaigns can't help Samsung sell phones, their reputation is tarnished.
Old 28 February 2016, 09:02 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Way Crapple sales are going the may have to start to worry sooner rather than later
"Crapple" sales are increasing whilst others decrease, I think you need to do more research.
Old 28 February 2016, 09:21 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Wish my blooming i-phone 5 would just work! The 3 was good
Old 28 February 2016, 09:44 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Thank goodness for experienced judges
Like you for example?

Apple were way ahead when the iPhone launched in 2007, Blackberry thought the product was a hoax as it did not believe such a device could be made with anything approaching reasonable performance / battery life.

The makers of Android had Blackberry in their sights until then.

In 2007 the world changed and EVERYONE copied Apple, of course they did, the product was better and people wanted it.

Fast forward 9 years, we the consumers have a wide array of choice.
Old 28 February 2016, 10:18 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Like you for example?

Apple were way ahead when the iPhone launched in 2007, Blackberry thought the product was a hoax as it did not believe such a device could be made with anything approaching reasonable performance / battery life.

The makers of Android had Blackberry in their sights until then.

In 2007 the world changed and EVERYONE copied Apple, of course they did, the product was better and people wanted it.

Fast forward 9 years, we the consumers have a wide array of choice.
You're confusing layman opinion and legal fact. Everyone mimicked the iPhone not copied. There was no need for apple to go on a rampage of legal battles. In hindsight apple has done the whole patent system a huge favour. I has proven software patents should of never been granted and Samsung standing upto apple has shown that.
Old 28 February 2016, 11:28 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Just because the law says so, does not make it a fact.

Laws are open to interpretation, hence why one judge rules in favour and another against, who is to say which is the right interpretation of the law or what is really fact?

You can't just take a recent decision in line with your personal opinion and ascribe it as fact. What if it changes again, then what of your "Fact"?

"Mimicked not copied" - please clarify, i see no distinction there at all. I suppose in legal speak copied would be a slavish perfect copy or reverse engineer? Samsung (as an example) made things look like Apples products, because Apples products were the most desired at that time.

Software patents, i don't understand enough to comment.

It was Steve Jobs who vowed to destroy Android because he saw it as a copied product and it's his legacy still playing out.
Old 28 February 2016, 12:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

apple was copying lg when the iPhone came out , if you don't accept that then youre total iPhone fanboi !
Old 28 February 2016, 12:32 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
apple was copying lg when the iPhone came out , if you don't accept that then youre total iPhone fanboi !
Interested, please substantiate.
Old 28 February 2016, 01:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Interested, please substantiate.
He's going to trot out the LG prada, i can't be arsed to Google it, but he's wrong.
Old 28 February 2016, 02:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

you young'uns probably wont even heard of it , and of course swept under carpet by the faithful
Old 28 February 2016, 02:25 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Also ignoring the Samsung prototypes which were documented before the iphone became public knowledge
Old 28 February 2016, 04:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Also ignoring the Samsung prototypes which were documented before the iphone became public knowledge
Apple are fantastic, but they didn't dream up the iPhone one month then release it the next. Your claims are desperate.
Old 28 February 2016, 04:19 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Apple are fantastic, but they didn't dream up the iPhone one month then release it the next. Your claims are desperate.
I didn't say that, did I. Before publicly known. Obviously they were working on a design. So were Samsung, LG and others. When Steve Jobs announced the iPhone it was a non working prototype.

It is irrelevant now, it is coming to an end, or will be in the near future. I doubt apple will venture on a campaign like that again. The lawyers won the most. The USA patents have been slightly improved.

Last edited by andy97; 28 February 2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 28 February 2016, 04:45 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wasn't Nokia the first company to introduce apps to mobile phones on the really old N75 etc, using the Symbian operating system ... well before the iPhone was incarnated. Wonder where Apple's idea of apps came from?
Old 28 February 2016, 08:31 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
Wasn't Nokia the first company to introduce apps to mobile phones on the really old N75 etc, using the Symbian operating system ... well before the iPhone was incarnated. Wonder where Apple's idea of apps came from?
Ignoring the fact that 'apps' is just a different term for a computer program. So if you really want to go down that line of thought you'd have to go much further back than the N97.
Old 08 March 2016, 12:04 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i started to try use my S4 this week i say try, what a load of crap.
None existent Batt life, tacky feel. Not for me. How people actually like the OS is beyond me, I had apps crashing, starting then just exiting had to reboot it, i felt like i was using windows 95 lol

Sony for me if i was forced to use Android...
Old 27 July 2016, 07:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Looks like sales iPhone 15% down

Trying to recoup the difference with Apple pay

Australia having non of it

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN10709W
Old 27 July 2016, 09:52 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'm surprised that you're surprised, of course sales are down, we're two months away from a new iPhone. I might get one to help with sales.
Old 27 July 2016, 10:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

and another thing, why is hmrc app on iphone Totally useless now !!
Old 27 July 2016, 10:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Maybe I read it wrong , there isn't going to be a NEW iPhone

instead itll be iphone6s se **++
Old 27 July 2016, 02:21 PM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

Stop feeding the troll.
Old 27 July 2016, 03:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dpb
Maybe I read it wrong , there isn't going to be a NEW iPhone

instead itll be iphone6s se **++
Yes that's right, Apple will be improving on their design and adding new features. The next step is Samsung and the others will copy it, it's been ten years you'd think you'd get it by now.

Quick Reply: It is coming to an end at last