Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Current best filesharing thingy?

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2002, 12:56 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is often asked but the scene changes so quickly it seeems.

My old favourite morpheus just doesn't seem to work anymore, so what is everyone using? (preferably bug free please!)

Thanks aDrian
Old 09 June 2002, 08:02 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Cool

KaZaA
www.kazaa.com
Old 09 June 2002, 08:04 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

www.eDonkey2000.com is quite good for films and games
www.audiogalaxy.com for music
Old 09 June 2002, 08:27 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

kazaa lite, dont touch kazaa.

www.kazaalite.com
Old 09 June 2002, 10:58 PM
mbc
Scooby Regular

www.winmx.com for mp3 very very fast adsl
Old 10 June 2002, 08:09 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Direct Connect is the master

http://www.neo-modus.com
Old 10 June 2002, 10:17 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

andi, why dont touch kazaa? (just curious)

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2002, 10:29 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

dj dunk

direct connect relies on a single p2p connection to some other person - who is on a particular hub at a particular time.

if that person reboots/crashes/closes direct connect then you will have to find a user on the same / differing hub with the same file. complete pain in the butt. If you have 60K a sec download bandwidth (typical ADSL) and you are only downloading at 10K a sec then (unless you start downloading other files) you are only using a sixth of your bandwidth in this example.

kazaa on the other hand constantly checks for other online users who have the file you are downloading and then starts to download off them if you are not currently using all of your bandwidth. If one of the users goes offline it automatically checks for alternative sources. This results in using more of your bandwidth - more of the time - therefore quicker downloads

it is also good for poor modem users - who have not got access to broadband - because when they get cutt off (usually every couple of hours - ISP enforced) they can auto-redial and kazaa will not have lost the connection to the server and then will automatically start downloading again when windows has reconnected to the internet. So even modem users can leave their PC unattended for large downloads and kazaa will take care of things for them.

as mentioned kazaa uses spyware so use kazaalite if this worries you.

direct connect was the daddy - but is seriously lacking these days (unless there is a new client i haven't tried)

(all of the above is IMHO)
(so there )

Old 10 June 2002, 10:54 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

IMO Direct Connect is still the daddy.

Okay, so it relies on a single connection but in my experience over the last year or so of using it, it wipes the floor with the likes of Kazaa. Kazaa users seem to be mainly modem using, kids with little to share and much of that which is shared is fake anyway. I had nothing but grief downloading from Kazaa and Morpheus before it. Many fake shares and miles behind the Direct Connect community in terms up to date files. My broadband speeds are always faster using Direct Connect too. I find no problem getting hold of files to resume from either. I've downloaded probably about 20Gb of data in the last 6 months using Direct Connect and wouldn't use anything else. It may be more complicated to use, but once you've mastered the little tweaks its mile ahead.

For games/movies/apps - Direct Connect
For Music - Audio Galaxy

For Modem users (and those who can barely use a PC )- Kazaa

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 6/10/2002 10:56:38 AM]

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 6/10/2002 10:57:44 AM]
Old 10 June 2002, 12:37 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have broadband and have only downloaded 20 gig in 6 months you aint trying hard enough!!

In the last 4 weeks i have downloaded approx 12 gig on a 128K isdn eves and weekends connection (cant get broadband where i live) all via kazaa cos it doesn't mind my ISPs 2 hour cutoffs.

i have only ever downloaded 1 fake file form kazaa. read the descriptions carefully and you should have no problems.

still do not like direct connects dependencies on hubs with their user limitations and you relying on one user staying online long enough to download from them - don't think you can get it to automatically search for another user with the same file if that one user goes offline (certainly not in another hub). kazaa usually reports over 1 million connected clients at any one time all of whom will contribute to search results.

with kazaa I have not had problem finding what i am looking for - with direct connect you have to check that you are sharing at least 40 gig to connect to decent hubs and even then you cannot guarentee that there will be the file you are looking for - which means checking other hubs - all time consuming - if a user has the file you are after then chances are they have no free slots and you will have to queue.

Old 10 June 2002, 12:44 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Each to their own I suppose

Direct Connect has supplied me with many files and "things" that Kazaa doesn't have listed. I share about 30Gb and use broadband so DC suits me better. If you use a modem chances are people will disconnect you or not even let you into the hub in the first place.

If you use 56k or ISDN and would rather use Kazaa, then thats great. Keeps the small pipe brigade off of DC, so we can get better speeds
Old 10 June 2002, 05:19 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

I've filled my new 60 gig IBM up in 4 months with mp's and pr0n, and my other 30 gig drive was filled up months before that, so its time for a 120gig I spose.

I used to be able to back up my hole hd on 3 or 4 cd's, dammit broadband is good
Old 10 June 2002, 06:32 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Question

I've got 40Gb full of MP3s - and am now considering (unhappily) deleting stuff.

Does anyone else use their machine as a virtual CD jukebox (mine's connected to my separates system) and anyone know where to get cheap memory? Is the TIVO worth buying at £99 to scavenge the hard drives out of?

G
Old 12 June 2002, 09:00 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

www.kazaalite.com

doesn't seem to be around, have they gone under?

greg
Old 12 June 2002, 10:07 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

greg - Try here instead
Old 12 June 2002, 11:11 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Ta!

winmx looks good, any idea what I should set my bamdwidth throttles to? I'm on R- ADSL, reported as 288/576 kbps up/downstream

Greg
Old 12 June 2002, 04:00 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

am i the only one that has problems logging into edonkey servers or actually finding anything on direct connect?
Old 12 June 2002, 04:11 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Exclamation

Can't find anything on Direct Connect ?

Choose a hub with 350+ users on it.
Share plenty of files.
Min 512k connection.
Use keywords carefully.
Once you find the file you need, re-search for the specific filename and restrict the filesizes returned to get good results.

Check what the filesize should be to avoid downloading half-files.
Sort the results by "slots" and pick one with a good ping.

Sorted

Any game/film I've looked for, I've found on DC no probs For research purposes of course.

GTA3, DNMP, SOF2, Spiderman, Blade 2, Resident Evil, SW EP2 you name it they're there.